Part 6: Betrayed

Table of Contents:

Chapter XXXI: Murder (Tryston)

Chapter XXXII: The shadows of magic

Chapter XXXIII: Diogo's rescue

Chapter XXXIV: Cell mates

Chapter XXXV: Unwanted visitor

Chapter XXXI: Murder (Tryston)

Tryston paced the stand alone cell like a caged animal. Its four walls of rusted iron bars were just large enough for him to take three steps across and was only one and a half his width. The cell nearly rested up against the bulkhead in the far bow of the ship (so if the ship ever had to ram home an enemy, the captain could possibly eliminate two birds with one stone). A bench hung from two chains that connected to the bulkhead and was only large enough for one person to sit, the cell fulfilled its purpose well, created so that you could stand or sit, but never lie down. Rest was not afforded the damned.

A steady sloshing of a half foot of water ricocheted between inside the room, constantly invading Tryston's locked space. The only light came from cracks in the wall that divided the brig from the lavatory, so light was not the only thing that ended up seeping through.

The door lock clicked and two sailors maneuvered their way in carrying Zora, who looked to be on the cusp of cognizance. Her face was pale and blood dribbled down the edge of her mouth, yet she still held an air of resistance.

She looked as if she wouldn't have been able to bat at a fly, yet the guards both looked to be settled in pure relief once they finally shut her up in the cell. Even half-conscious Zora had a presence about her, like a Tiger, no matter what state it was in, you knew it still had teeth and claws.

"Back away from the door!" One of the sailors barked anxiously

Pride swelled in Tryston as Zora was set against the bars at his feet. Pride that she always effected everyone around her. He silently wished he could have that power.

Tryston's mind had thus been occupied with Malay's wellbeing, not having been able to see how healed she had become, but the moment the Zora was brought through the door, his brain found little room for anything other than concern for Zora. All his previous mental endeavors seemed impossible to grasp. Like a dream, sifting more away with each passing moment.

"Wouldya...stoplookin'atme... 'likethat...buffoon." 

Zora's muffled sentences came between strenuous breaths.

"Ivehadworse." She comforted

Zora tried to move but collapsed after a weak effort.

Tryston dropped down next to her and put his arm around her back, propping her up more sturdily. His face went flushed at being so close to her. Even though this wasn't how he imagined holding her for the first time (and he had spent long hours to that task) the current situation still felt like it held a touch of intimacy.

"You'ave'igears." She slurred

"All the better to hear your insults with." He laughed back

She was still muttering streams of what might have been her best insults yet and was somewhere between remarking on the types of feces he ate and telling him what tree his ancestors still swung in, when she finally passed out.

Tryston sat down gently and moved to cradle Zora's head into her lap, but because of the lack of space, most of her back became flush with his chest, and instead her head dropped back against his shoulder. He tried to respect her by not blushing. He suddenly had the strangest desire to brush back her thick beautiful hair out of her face, though he couldn't imagine it bothering her since she was fast asleep. His hand came up so awkwardly towards the crown of her head, it reminded him of watching a Chameleon try to cross a branch in the lab at The Order.