A Long Gone Friend- a prompt fic!

T/W: mentions of the following: food shortage, death(knifes and strangling), being locked in, Sam, homelessnesses

Hermit(s): Grian, Mumbo

Type: prompt, oneshot, h/c, 

Prompt: 

Mumbo likes stealing Grian 's phone to change Grian 's phone wallpaper into something stupid (like unattractive pictures of Grian 's face or a dumb meme). Mumbo is doing another routine swipe of Grian 's phone, but doesn't have the heart to change it because this time because  Grian's phone wallpaper is a cute picture of the two of them (like their first date together, or the only picture they have together). 

I will alter it, for instance, the picture is of Grian and someone else bc I don't like romantic shipping. #aroace

POV: Mumbo

Grian had been acting strange lately. He would randomly pull out his phone, stare at it, tear up in a sad way, and then wipe the tears off his face and pretend that nothing happened. And Mumbo was tired of watching his friend be sad, and not being able to help. 

And that was why he was now sneaking around in Grian's living room, where he had- for some reason- left his phone while showering. Mumbo picked it up and face palmed as he realized that, of course Grian had a password on his phone! 

Mumbo stared blankly at the phone screen, trying to think of what the password could be. 

'1234?' He wondered. 'No, that's to simple, easy to guess. His birthday?' At that, Mumbo tried the number, only for it to tell him that it was too long. 'Aurgggg!' He mentally screamed. Then he noticed something. The phone case seemed to be extra thick, while the phone was the newest edition, much thinner than the case. 

Mumbo, curious, carefully slid off the case to reveal a paper underneath, making the case chunky. He opened the paper to see an old-ish looking photo. The photo featured a much younger Grian in a uniform, with to people, one on each side. 

The guy on the left had short, black hair and black, red and blue headphones. He wore the same uniform as Grian, blazer, white undershirt, black tie, and navy blue jeans to match the blazer. On said blazer was a golden colored badge, with some words that Mumbo couldn't make out. 

The guy on the right had short brown hair, a boyish face, and, surpassingly, white rabbit ears, although, Mumbo couldn't tell if it was a headband, or real ears, attached to the boy's head. 

Mumbo was, as it turned out, so puzzled by the picture that he didn't notice Grian walk up behind him, apparently having finished his shower. 

"I guess I should tell you now, shouldn't I." Grian said, startling Mumbo. "Ahh- oh, uh, hi Grian... um... wait, tell me what?" The spoon stuttered. Grian let out a cold chuckle, and answered with "get some blankets, pillows and ice cream while I start a fire." He finished, heading toward the fire place. 

After the necessary items were gathered, the to sat on the couch, which they moved closer to the fire, but not too close, and ate ice cream under the blankets and pillows. 

 And after they had gathered all those things, and tissues, which concerned Mumbo slightly, Grian told his tale.

"Once there was a boy. That boy never knew his parents, siblings, if he had any, and aunt and uncle were foreign words to him. Love was just a word that meant 'pretend to like us or else', and home was wherever the boy could find a meal, a bed, a blanket, warmth of any kind, really. 

This boy was on the run. From what? He didn't know, and wouldn't for a long time. And this boy, we will call him Xelqua for now, eventually ended up in school. He was behind, but a fast learner, and soon caught up.