Overcapacity

I wrote this chapter awhile ago, and I don't really remember what happens...forgive me? :)

Jeff was slowly losing his mind. He was driving at an all too dangerous speed down the expressway, out of New York and into Jersey. A cell phone was gripped in his left hand while his right remained on the steering wheel. Chaotic thoughts were going wild in his head. What if this person was behind him, waiting to run into his bumper? What if they were in front of him ready to suddenly brake? What if this person, wasnt really a person at all? He tightened his grip on the items in his hands and clenched his teeth.

He had an elaborate plan laid out in his mind. He'd drop by his parents house and tell them where he was going. They were conventional people, they wouldn't quite understand, but he'd do his best to explain. And then he'd run to California, content with getting as far away from his potential killer as possible. He made sure he took the back way there, going through as many twists and  turns as possible, in attempt to lose the 'something' that might be following him.

Soon enough he arrived at the cottage he'd spent the majority of his life in. It was in a comfortable neighborhood where all of the people knew one another, the lawns were decorated, there was never more than one car per driveway, they were eco-friendly people.

Jeff got out of the car and ran past the white hybrid that he'd bought his parents for their 27th anniversary to the front door of the house. He banged on it with an open hand and peeked through the window. The house was empty from what he could see, and it looked the exact way that he'd remembered it. He knocked on the door again and his mothers confused face peered around the corner. He waved at her and smiled, a flood of releif washed over him at seeing her alive and well. She smiled back and walked over to the door.

He heard her undo the lock, and the doorknob turned. It slowly opened to reveal an empty living room. He stepped in cautiously, peeking behind the door, hoping to see is mother playing a trick on him. But the room was completely empty.

"Shit!" He yelled, he slammed the door behind him and punched the the wall creating a huge hole and bleeding knuckles. "Mom! Dad!" He shouted as he ran through the house, checking each room only to find it empty. He quickly dialed the emergency number on the cell phone and put it to his ear as he marched back to the entrance, trying to keep his panic ridden thoughts within.

"911, what's your emergency?" A generic female voice answered the phone.

"My name is Jeff..." his voice trailed off as he peered into the hole he'd punched in the wall. He reached inside and grabbed what looked like a piece of paper. He yanked it out, only to throw it on the floor when realizing it was another envelope. He dropped the phone and reached into the hole with both hands, pulling out what seemed like an endless supply of blank envelopes. He didn't stop until the floor was completely covered, and the last envelope he pulled had his name embossed on the front.

He gulped down a grand feeling of apprehension and opened the envelope unfolding the paper inside. On it were printed three simple words, "Not fast enough."

Jeff dropped the paper and froze, the sound of the 911 operator fading into the background until he heard nothing but the thumping of hisown heart. He began to flip names and faces through his mind, trying to discover who could be the person subjecting him to such torture. Jeff didn't have many friends or acquaintences, he kept his circle tight because he knew that someone in his position was subject to many relationships witholding ulterior motives. He could think of no one.

He slowly developed a new plan, and left the aprtment. Heading for Maine.