Chapter 9

It was brunch day. The palace was jammed pack.

Draven found George in the kitchen. He hadn't seen Lynetta since they had last spoken in the barn. He knew she was swamped, and so was he.

"Hi George," Draven greeted to the man who bowed respectfully. "Have you seen Lynetta?"

"My King, she just left. We have been here since three in the morning. She was finished with her job."

"Thank you." Draven was disappointed. He thought she would try to find him before she left, but he knew it was difficult with so many people around.

He meandered around like he did the last time, finding different people to talk to, but saving the room with the children for last.

The room was definitely more packed this time around. Draven figured the idea of having their work displayed was a good incentive for the kids to want to do the craft.

He helped the kids make their dragons, even making one of his own. It was fun. He had a good time getting to know as many of them as he could.

Orion came through just as he was getting ready to move on.

"The Royal Council is here, Your Highness. The two that showed up on Friday are getting a bit heated with the others."

Draven huffed. This was no time for politics.

As soon as the group of council members caught sight of him, they immediately shut up. The two from Friday looked particularly pale.

He crowded in, trying to keep neutral and quiet since people were watching.

"I told you two there would be no further discussion of this matter. I need you to leave, immediately. We will discuss your resignation during our next meeting, not now and not before. If anyone else has any issues, you may also leave."

Everyone dispersed, leaving Draven alone in the middle of the room. There were so many people, so many noises. His temple pounded, and he reached up to massage some of the pain away, especially as a particularly high pitched nasally laugh cut through.

"Lynetta owes me like three thousand more dollars by tomorrow. There's no way she will be able to pay me. I will get that run down property and shack of a house all to myself, " the lady laughed. "She almost paid me off. If I sell it to someone else, I will have doubed my money to begin with."

Draven's attention was fully caught. She couldn't possibly be talking about his Lynetta, right?

"Don't forget about the horse," her friend added, taking a bite of a piece of bacon.

"I know that horse is ready to be put out of its misery," the initial lady said.

Draven's heart was thudding violently in his chest, and he felt a chill run along his neck. He had to know.

"Excuse me," he cut in. The ladies curtsied. "Are you enjoying yourselves? How is the food?"

"It's amazing, Your Highness. We appreciate being able to gather with our friends," the nasally voice answered.

"That's great," Draven added pleasantly. "You seem very familiar. Have I met you somewhere?"

"I don't believe so, King Draven." She smiled, but it seemed slimy.

"Perhaps through a Lynetta Gail."

The lady nodded, looking disgusted. Draven struggled to breathe. "I apologize that I don't remember. She is my stepdaughter."

"Of course. I remember now. Well, enjoy your evening, and your meal."

Draven was so confused. He didn't know what the fuck was going on. If Lynetta was in some kind if trouble with this lady, why didn't she tell him straight? Why did she lie?

He was right all along. He should have listened to his fucking gut. He could care less about the money, but she lied. And she had never mentioned a stepmother. She told him she had inherited the property.

Draven found Orion.

"I wish not to be disturbed for the rest of the day. Can you handle the rest of this brunch?"

"Of course I can. Are you okay?" Orion asked, but Draven didn't have an answer. "Please let me know if you need anything, My King. I will put some sweets aside for you."

"Do not bother," he muttered. He went straight to the barn to get Frost. He was so tired of all of these shitty games. Why couldn't people treat him normally?

It felt like it took him no time to reach Lynetta's place, even with his turmoil. He knew she was probably sleeping, but he needed to end this.

But he didn't want to. He wanted there to be some kind of explanation. Maybe she did need the money for repairs, and because of the stepmom situation, she couldn't pay it.

It took Lynetta a few moments, the longest moments of Draven's life, to answer the door. He was so fucking angry and hurt. He didn't even know what to say.

"Draven," Lynetta gave a sleepy smile, when she pulled open the door, and damn her for looking so adorable. He wanted to kiss her. He wanted her to tell him that everything was okay. "What are you doing here? Why aren't you at the party? Come in. It's freezing."

He would've denied, but she was in a t-shirt and shorts. He didn't need her to get sick.

"You're shaking," she whispered, taking his limp hand. "Are you sick?"

"Why did you lie to me?" he whispered, his voice hoarse and exhausted. He wished she knew all of the fucking trust issues he had shoved aside to be with her, to love her.

He could see the way her face lost some color, the way she took a step back. He knew it. He knew it was too good to be true.

"You know I would've given you the money either way."

"I'm so, so sorry. The situation is embarrassing and messy." She reached for him, but he stepped back. "How did you find out?"

Draven scoffed. "Your step-mother. I can't believe I thought you were different."

"I shouldn't have lied. I just wanted to do it on my own. Draven, please." She reached again, and he noticed tears falling onto her cheeks. He wanted to wipe them away.

"I think it would be best for us to never see each other again."

She sobbed, "What? No, I swear everything has been genuine. I love spending time with you, and I'm so sorry that you found out this way."

He felt his own tears rising as he pulled the crumpled check from his pocket. It was his worst fear coming to light. He placed it in her soft hand.

"It's due tomorrow, right?"

"Please don't go," she cried.

He left. The anger had dissolved into a soft hurt that settled over his entire body. Seeing Lynetta distraught was one of the worst things he's ever had to be apart of.

He hated being used. He could think of a million different ways she could have brought up the situation. None of which he would've denied her.

He finally let his tears fall, blaming it on the harsh, cold wind as he raced back home.