Prologue 1/2

(This chapter has been edited)

Alice stumbled out of work, exhausted. She looked up, gazing emptily at the sky, it was painted with a selection of warm colors such as orange and red. She raised her right arm up in the air to look at her watch.

'6:44 pm.'

Suddenly her phone rang.

Beep Beep Beep

Alice, startled by the sudden noise, took out her phone from her bag, her face formed into a smile as she read the name displayed on her phone, the caller was her younger sister.

"Hey, what's up?" She greeted.

"Alice! I just wanted to wish you an early birthday. It's coming up tomorrow right?" A sweet voice emitted from the other side of the phone.

"Yeah, that's right"

As the call went on, the black-haired girl swiped out of the call app to request a cab, the call did not disconnect.

"Then do you mind getting ready tomorrow? I have something planned for you, It's a secret of course hehe~"  Alice's younger sister giggled.

"Hm? Sure, I think I'm free tomorrow, I'll try to put off any studying because... you know, final exams are coming up and I need to get into university— Ah."

A strong gush of wind swept through the teenager's face, causing her hair to spiral out of control. Alice propped up her phone on her shoulder as she tilted her head on top of her phone to support it making sure it doesn't drop. All the while gathering all her hair into a ponytail and pulling off a black hair tie from her wrist, she finished securing all her hair into a ponytail.

"You're no fun. Alice, you should stop over-worrying about school and focus a bit on yourself, besides, you're doing pretty well already, I bet my intestine you're going pass without a single sweat on your face." Her sister pouted.

"Pfft— Hah! You can take your intestine back! That's nasty." Alice laughed as she made a disgusted face.

The two sisters burst out into light-hearted laughter.

Alice and her sister got along really well, despite being 4 years apart, they were inseparable. Not to mention, their personalities aligned quite well, if you were to ask Alice about her sister, she'd be happy to talk about her all day, proud to have raised a sister who is so caring and genuine.

"Anyways, when you get home can we start watching that show again? We're already halfway through the greed island arc!" 

The show Alice's younger sister was referring to was called Hunter x Hunter. It's a pretty popular anime series at the time considering it's 2015. Both of them were pretty late on the hype train.

"Oh... about that. I need to take a rain check, I'm quite busy today."

"Huh? Why?"

Alice fell silent. Before she could open her mouth again,

"Is it an unfinished assignment?" Her sister finished.

Alice sighed, "Yes, I have leftover work I have to do." She continued, "But I'll try to get it done as fast as possible okay?"

"Fine, but when you get home... Is it okay if I talk about... Mike?"

'Again?' Alice thought agitated.

Her younger sister had a boyfriend who Alice clearly disapproves of. Her complaints to Alice were always about him being flirtatious with other girls or doing something her sister didn't like or harassing her at times, stuff that normal youngsters do in a relationship.

Their mother and Alice told her to break it off many times, but they call it "madly in love." Sure his looks are nice but he's not a decent guy...

Alice still finds it hard to believe that her sister, younger by four years could even be in a relationship while she remained single her whole life.

Alice made a huge sigh. "What is he up to this time? Look, you should really break it off with him, I'm telling you this because he doesn't deserve you...you should know better."

There was a pause in the conversation.

"I promise you, your big sister will protect you okay? If you need me to kick ass, ring me up! So tell me okay?" Alice comforted in an attempt to lighten up the mood.

"Pfft—" a slight laugh was emitted through the call. "Alright fine, I'll take your offer."

Alice's attempt had proved to be fruitful.

"Anyways, I might need to hang up soon, want me to pick up anything before I arrive home?"

"Oh! Yeah! Grab some waffles for me, I've had this awfully weird craving for a while now..."

"Noted."

A sudden ding came from Alice's phone. A notification indicating that her cab had finally arrived.

"Ah, my ride is here, I better get going now."

"Get home safely! And DO NOT forget about those waffles."

"Yeah, yeah, I'll remember."

The black-haired girl lifted her index finger to push the end call button, but she paused. She felt as though she needed to say something before leaving the conversation.

"Hey, kiddo?"

"Yes?"

Alice hesitated, she couldn't help but have this gut-wrenching feeling in her stomach, she felt as though, the next thing she says might be her last words to her beloved sister, without much thought she quietly muttered, "...I love you."

"What is this about?"

"I don't know, I just felt the need to say it."

"Well, I'll return it back to you, I love you more!!"

The teenager chuckled, "Okay, see you."

Alice finally ended the call and carefully stashed her phone back into her bag. Then she started making her way toward the location of her cab. Unbeknownst to both of them, those waffles... never made it home.

______________________

Hello, Author here~

Since this is my first time writing, I am open to any criticism to improve. If any of you guys have any suggestions, feel free to comment with your feedback. Thank you again for reading this chapter!