Chapter 7: Grandma Alice

Finally we were in the stairway of the hospital. After all the sweet talking and sneaking I was completely exhausted.

"So now we're in, where do we go from here?" Arthur peaked in the door window and looked to me curiously.

I rolled my eyes. "I got us this far its your turn." I ended my comment with folded arms.

"Fine." He sighed. "Let's look for any signs for an elder ward."

Suddenly we started to hear footsteps come tword the door. Without another word we scrambled to find a hiding spot under a desk, in the corner of the room.

With a loud creak the door opened as two nurses bursted through, the silence in the room disappeared as the two were loudly gossiping.

"I'm so tired of this job, all my pacients are disgusting!" The younger nurse exclaims. "Mr. Bennett needs his bandages changed every 4 hours, Miss Hamel needs her pills Everyday at 5. I'm sick of it!"

"Hun, yer outlook of yer job is all wrong. We get to help people. Give them eh opportunity to go back tu society." The older nurses tone was alot more light-hearted. Her irish accent just adding to the sweetness.

"You would think being you are in the Seniors Ward, you'd be less optimistic. No one ever leaves this place. Death is the only way anyone gets out of this place."

I mute out most of what the nurse says. All I hear is the keyword. "Did you hear that? She works where Edith's grandma is at!" I whisper excitedly.

Arthur hushed. "Did you not hear the whole "Death is the only escape bit"??"

The older nurse finally replied back. "Oh child, good is never gonna come if you have such a outlook." The two grabbed a few medications from the shelves and added it to a cart that was brought in with them. "I have to go and take care of some pacients. I'm sure you have things you need to get done as well."

The second nurse huffed as they both walked out. Arthur pointed to the older nurse. "Let's go follow her."

"Ugh com'on, that was way too easy!"

Arthur just hushed me again as we started to sneakily follow the nurse.

Finally after multiple hallways and turns later we got to the senior ward.

The already dull atmosphere became even duller as we entered the main hall. Room after room filled with mentally and or physically sick elder people. Some even looking to the brink of death.

"It looks like they organize the room by last name. Have any clue on Edith's grandmother's last name?" I look to Arthur hoping his history could help somehow.

"I'm not sure its must have been years since I've heard that name spoken. I believe it started with an "L". Lewis, Lindel, Lid-"

"Liddell! I remember Edith saying something about her grandmother being an aire to the Liddell match company. And then they started to lose their wealth as electricity started to become more and more popular...." And I didnt say it out loud but I started to connect the events. After all the anger I felt started to simmer I began to think of why Arthur was here. If he was so hurt and embarrassed by Edith, why is he risking what's left of his reputation to make sure she's okay? I couldnt explain it but I just couldnt let my guard down.

"Oh yeah, I even remember the little illustration they had on the matchbox." His short phase of happiness went back to a stern seriousness. "We don't have time for this right now let's look for Liddell."

I just nodded in response.

I got to the door way to the room but quickly saw a nurse checking on Edith's grandmother. Quickly hiding behind the wall I peek into the room again.