Chapter 1

Nico POV:

I watched below Percy's perfect face showed a tone of confusion as we were falling. "Why did you jump for me?" he asked.
"Because I know what Zeus said wasn't true. You would never do something like that. But I'm not gonna fight for injustice, especially one where I am a pawn. We are expendable, they don't care what happens to us as long as it gives them a better life." Tears watered out of his eyes.

"Well, thank you Nico." he sniffled. "I jumped into Tartarus after her when she didn't even need it. I need it and she can't repay the favor. Didn't even move a muscle." As the tears and the heartbreak flowed, for a second I thought I might have a chance. Shit, he's straight. Everyone except me is. "Thank you Nico. It's just you and me against the world." I kept that joy and tucked it into my chest all the way down to the floor of Tartarus.

———

Percy POV:

I couldn't help but find myself drifting off, staring at Nico for hours on end, with his eyelids covering his beautiful face. I snapped back to reality when Nico suddenly opened his eyes and shouted, "Percy! Look down!" We were about 200 yards away from the floor of hell, plummeting at a lethal rate. I harnessed all my willpower, my energy and grabbed the River Styx's water and started to pull it. "Percy, we're gonna die!"

"Just a little bit more!" And as soon as we were about to splat on the ground, a flood of water crashed into our landing spot, giving us enough cushion to land. Two major cannonballs erupted from the water as tons of force hit the puddle.

As we resurfaced, Nico said, "Dam, that's the most excitement I've had in a while." I evaporated the water on our bodies as we walked through the treacherous depths of the region. Monsters roamed and called while raging rivers flowed. I looked and saw a horrible look in the son of Hades' eyes. This is when it really hit me, how much pain he had suffered here, and he willingly jumped in, for me of all people.

"Nico, we're gonna be okay. We're in this together. Don't ever forget that." He looked up and there was still pain, but there was a sparkle of joy that I could claim I was responsible for. And that gave me pride.

We were walking through, when something strange happened. Hellhounds ran up to us, ready to kill but when they sniffed us, they stopped in their tracks. Then they growled, but for some reason I could understand them. "Greetings, Perseus."

"Wait, what?" I exclaimed. "I can understand them?"

"I can explain." a dark voice boomed. I turned around and saw Tartarus, the primordial himself. I readied my sword but he interrupted me. "No need to fight me. I am your ally, seeing that we have something in common, Olympus is our opposition. I have told the hellhounds to treat you as they would a king, as that is what I am offering you. Will you join me in the fight and become the King of Tartarus and my champion?"

I pondered the thought. It would be protection down in this pit, but what he did to me and Annabeth was unforgettable and I know she would hate me if I sided with Tartarus. But then again, what is she going to do about it? "Yes, I accept your offer." I said. As the words left my mouth, a dark aura surrounded me as all energy left my body and joined the swirl of power and just as I thought it was done, all of it rushed right back into my body. I felt, well, godly.

"Let's give you a tour of your palace."