7.6 - The Line

Let's revisit Clotho back down on earth in B.C., to see how her plan plays out :)

______________

Scene 6: The Line

2020 B.C.

As the mother smiled at her child - at the promise of life in his eyes - Clotho felt certain that, no matter what the cost had been, this moment was worth everything. It had to be. Each tear of joy the mother shed as she embraced her son, the boy who had been fated to die far too young. Now all the sadness and injustice of his illness was undone.

Clotho's soul smiled at the sight, full of gratitude toward her eldest sister for granting this favor. She only wished that Atropos could witness this moment, to see firsthand the life she'd saved. To feel this sense of certainty that what she'd done was right.

The Fate of death carried more feeling, more depth, in her immortal heart than she would ever admit. This Clotho knew. Despite her recent words about her sister's ignorance of love - words that she had instantly come to regret - she knew. There was no way that Atropos would doubt the choice she'd made, if she were here to see this, too.

"Thank you," the mother whispered, upraising her gaze from her child's flushed face, for the first time since she'd seen him wake today. Smiling at Clotho through a ceaseless swell of tears. "Thank you."

Clotho returned the smile, then took a cautious step toward the child's bedside as the mother beckoned for her to come closer.

"Say thank you, dear one," the woman bade her son. "Thanks to her merciful grace, you have been saved."

The boy looked up, bright eyes unblinking as he stared upon the mortal Fate who'd saved him. Eyes the color of springtime: the blue of a bird's egg, the blessing of life and new birth. It should have been the hue of happiness and hope. Yet as Clotho met the child's gaze, she felt a shudder course through her immortal soul - for she saw sorrow there, fear and despair... as if this life were not a blessing, but a curse.

She did not dwell on the thought for long. Assured herself that she had just imagined it, as curious neighbors started filtering into the humble home, eager to set eyes upon the miracle performed. Indeed, the child's speedy and complete recovery was no small feat. Just overnight, he seemed to be cured entirely of a sickness that had led him to death's doorstep, nearly past it, set to perish any minute. And now here he was, hale and healthy as ever.

To most of the town, this served as proof enough, that the stranger in their midst had to be the vessel of some special sort of power. The few who remained skeptical were outnumbered, for which Clotho was deeply relieved. She was to be protected, and her word respected, now that a majority believed.

"I promise that your faith in me is not misplaced," she addressed a gathered crowd that day. "The gods were glad to grant this act of mercy, and they shall smile upon the people of this realm, so long as you lead lives of virtue and redeem your wayward ways."

Because these villagers were such a simpleminded bunch, they were in dire need of guidance, readily heeding Clotho's insights as to how to set their lives upon a virtuous path. She offered as much wisdom as she could, based on her sense of what was right and what was good. The answers weren't always clear, as she had known to expect - the fine line between right and wrong was often so indistinct as to barely exist. But the lofty ideal of virtue, however illusory or elusive it might be, was still worthwhile to pursue. For many of the people of this town, that concept was completely new.

Clotho was glad, and proud. More so than she had ever been, of herself, during all her time so far on earth. She observed the villagers' behavior throughout the day, advising them when they approached her with questions. Pleased that they seemed truly eager to change, to abide by her word. Granted, their reforms were born of fear - fear that the gods would strike them down, as Clotho had warned, if they erred - but she wasn't sure whether that mattered. So long as she was lessening the darkness in their hearts, in one way or another, then she was working toward what did matter. Striving to save her mother.