Chapter 14 - The Appointment

Leah's POV

Three weeks had gone by pretty quickly and Jace and I were getting ready for our first scan appointment. If my calculations were correct, I'd be around 8 weeks pregnant. But I can't wait to see our little nugget for the first time. Jace has been amazing, a little too caring sometimes.

He had stopped me from doing a lot at work. Compared to what I used to do, I'm doing probably half of that, and either he or Tyler has been taking up my extra work. Tyler still doesn't know why but I can see him starting to question things. Every so often, he'd look at me and my belly, and I can see the uncertainty on his face, wondering whether or not to ask me if I'm pregnant or not. It's kinda funny actually.

Once we were ready, Jace took my hand and we walked down the stairs together, grabbing my purse before leaving the house and Jace locking up behind us. He unlocked the car door and helped me in, which made me laugh "Jace I'm not disabled you know, I'm only pregnant, I can sit in the car by myself" I giggled. Which made him roll his eyes at me before buckling my seatbelt and shutting the door.

I chuckled to myself watching him run round the car to his side, getting in and shutting the door before buckling his own seatbelt. he could feel my eyes watching him and he looked over with a questioning look until I started to laugh again, and he rolled his eyes at me once again. "Am I not allowed to make sure my wife is safe and secure on the way to the baby scan?" he asked, which of course made me laugh again.

"I'm fine Jace, I promise. I haven't felt nauseous or thrown up once today" I reminded him. I've recently had a few bad days with morning sickness, but it's stupid because 'morning' sickness can last all day. But today I've felt fine, which is a relief. Jace has been with me almost every time to hold my hair back and rub my back.

"Well I don't care, you need to get used to it because I'm just going to be more cautious about everything" he started the car and we were on our way to the appointment. Jace put his hand on my thigh squeezing every so often. I just played absentmindedly with his fingers and traced patterns into the top of his hand while looking out of the window enjoying the peace.

It took around 15 minutes to get to the hospital, and I could tell Jace was so excited, but he was nervous as well. We both were. Just hoping everything is okay with the baby.

We walked up to the front desk to sign in and sat down in the waiting room after.

A few minutes later, a nurse called my name and we both got up from our seats and followed her down the corridor into a small room. I sat on the bed, whilst Jace sat on the chair next to me, still holding my hand. The nurse took my information, weight and blood pressure before leaving the room and closing the door behind her.

Five minutes had gone by before the doctor came into the room. "Hi, guys, sorry for the wait. I'm Dr Morris, I'm your ob-gyn" She smiled at us both. She looked to be an older lady, around her 40s with dark blonde hair.

I smiled back "It's nice to meet you, this is my husband, Jace," I said. She smiled politely at him.

"Right, so this is your first scan of the baby?" I nodded and she carried on. "From what Dr Sinclair has written in your notes, you could be around 8-9 weeks pregnant. First baby too, am I right?" she asked to which I nodded again.

"Lovely. Now time to check to see how the baby is doing, could you lie back on the bed, and lift your shirt a little so I can see your tummy please?" I followed her orders and did what she asked me to do before she tucked a paper towel into the waistband of my jeans. "This is going to be slightly cold" she warned me. She wasn't wrong, I slightly flinched which caused her to chuckle lowly.

She rubbed the wand into the gel and moved it around my belly until we could hear a loud thumping noise. I looked at Jace with wide eyes, and he just looked confused. We both turned to look at Dr Morris and she explained "That's the heartbeat of your baby, sounds really healthy and strong"

I had tears welling in my eyes halfway through her explanation, and I looked at Jace with a smile on my face and noticed his eyes were welling up too, I could see how happy he was just hearing that.

"And here is your baby" Dr Morris pointed at the screen, showing us where our baby is. I couldn't take my eyes off the screen, just watching our little nugget. I felt Jace squeeze my hand and I looked at him and saw a stray tear fall from his eye. He got up from his seat and gave me a sweet kiss on my lips, smiling the whole time.

"The baby is 8 weeks so we will make an appointment in 4 weeks' time. I'll print some pictures off for you and they'll be waiting at the front desk with your next appointment. Do either of you have any questions?" Dr Morris asked, we both shook our heads 'no' and she smiled, "ill see you in 4 weeks then Mr and Mrs Williams, it's a pleasure to meet you" she said before she disappeared through the door and closing it behind her to give us some privacy.

I wiped the gel off my belly with the paper towel she had given me, before sitting up and pulling my shirt back down. Jace stood up and helped me off the bed before giving me another sweet kiss on the lips.

"I love you"

"I love you too" I smiled in reply.