Chapter 7

I've been working in the bar for almost 2 weeks now and Charlotte has become a good friend in this short time. We spend most of our days off together as well as our nights off, which we often spend at the one nightclub and even at the bar. I should feel guilty about deceiving her and forming a fake friendship in order to get closer to her brother but I find as the days pass by I feel a genuine friendship form between the two of us, not a fake friendship based on my alias.

It's Friday night and I've been at work for a little over an hour now when Elliot asks to speak in his office. I follow him inside and take the seat in front of his desk.

"I wanted to discuss a job offer."

I look at him confused as I already have a job and didn't think I needed a new one.

"The auto shop needs a new receptionist and I would prefer to hire someone who I know and can trust, it would be a few hours each day so you can still work here at the bar as many or as few nights a week and on weekends, that I would leave up to you."

Before I get the chance to answer I am thrown out of my chair as a loud bang rips through the air. I open my eyes to find my bearings again however I cannot see much as there is so much dust around. My ears are ringing. I see a blurry figure approaching me, I attempt to fight them as they crouch down in front of me and reach to touch my shoulder. The dust begins to settle and I am able to see the face of the figure better and realise it's Elliot. I relax again and try to stand. With Elliot's help, I get to my feet and look around. His desk is on its side and the window behind it is smashed.

"What happened?' I ask, finally turning back to face him. It's then I notice the blood dripping down the side of his face. I reach up to touch him, surprisingly, he lets me. I look up into his eyes and find he was already looking at mine. Neither one of us looks away for what feels like minutes, before he breaks the silence, "I better go make sure everyone else is okay", with that he quickly exits his office, leaving me stunned as to what just happened between us.