14. Garden gnomes and cranberry vodka

I was awoken by my phone buzzing on my nightstand . Who could text me at 4am ? It was still dark outside and the birds were still asleep unlike me who was now fully awake . I pushed away my blanket and tried to find my phone despite the lack of light in my room . My parents lived where no streetlights seemed to have ever existed and when night sets in the hope of seeing light disapears with daytime . But as I looked at my phone there was light again, not the light you see but the light you feel . It was her again, texting me at 4am ...

Ayla : thanks for tonight it was nice :) sorry about Dean he's a bit rude sometimes...

Sometimes ? Anyway, right now I didn't care about the last part of her message . She had a great time earlier and that was what really mattered . I smiled like an in love teenager in front of my phone for a few minutes before finally typing something back .

Aimee : You're welcome, it was nice seeing you again ;) you're okay ?

typing...

Ayla : I am, u ?

Aimee : yep, can't sleep ?

Ayla: nope, bad dreams...

Well I could relate ...

Aimee : Want to talk about it ?

Ayla : Not really

Aimee: okay, I'm here if you need me ;)

Ayla : thank you ;)
Ayla : and what are u doing up ?

Aimee : someone texted me at 4 in the morning and I had no choice but to answer

Ayla Shit ! Did I wake you up ???

Aimee : kind of ahah ;)

Ayla : Oh no I'm so sorry I didn't realise you were probably sleeping I'm so sorry!!!

Aimee : Ayla it's fine really don't worry and stop apologizing pleaaaase

Ayla : okay okay :) I won't apologize ever again ;)

Aimee : good ;) u should try to sleep a bit though

Ayla : you're right, good night Aimee Queen ;)

Aimee : Good night Ayla ;)

As I through my phone on the covers my heart was dancing salsa in my chest and the butterflies in my belly decided to join the show . I had never felt that in ages and the fact that the last time had been the consequence of talking with the exact same girl had a bittersweet feeling . I was weak in front of her, I needed to toughen up if I wanted to stay safe from these feelings . I could hear them come back and settle in my mind, in my heart again . They were the most beautiful but in the same what seemed to be the most dangerous feelings ever . She has a boyfriend, she doesn't like girls, you have no chance Aimee . I tried to chase this thoughts out of my mind and to focus on something positive, something positive that wasn't her . She was always so smiling, so nice, so funny, how could he not respect her ? How could he not realize who she was ? Okay, Dean isn't positive thoughts he's basically the opposite .

I laid on my bed, closed my eyes and sleep eventually found its way back to me along with weird dreams in which Dean was kept in an enclosure dressed as a pig with little kids throwing him apples over the fence .

_____

"So what's your project again ?" asked my dad as he put a bowl in front of him, bowl on which my name was written with hearts around it .

"I want to be an illustrator" I replied taking a sip of my dad's perfect hot chocolate .

"That's great" he replied obviously trying to hide the fact that he didn't know anything about being an illustrator "an illustrator for what ?"