Ch. 5 Look Who's Back

It's official. It's been two days since the school board meeting and they announced that there will be an assembly with the decision today after the last bell. Most of the school has heard the rumor by now so it isn't exactly breaking news.

All of my classes drag by. Mrs. Gail hasn't said a single word to me since the day in the girl's bathroom. Finally, the lunch bell rings and I hurry to the cafeteria.

"Hey bitches," is how I announce my presence to the table.

The three girls smiled back at me and continued eating. Lunch today was chicken strips and mashed potatoes. This happens to be one of they only edible lunches we get.

"So, are you guys excited about the assembly this afternoon?"

I turn to answer Jenny but before I can the intercom beeps signaling an announcement.

"Students, will you please report to the auditorium. The assembly has been rescheduled to right now. Again, students will you please report to the auditorium. Thank you," and then another beep to signal that the announcement was over.

Everyone sat there momentarily confused but then quickly starting putting trays away. We walked to the gym and found seats in the middle facing the stage. Mr. Davidson walked out to the front of the stage followed by Mrs. Watkins, the assistant principal.

"Students of Winston Academy we have called you here today to announce some very disheartening news. Due to some recent events, which I am sure you have heard of, we will be closing down the academy. I know that this will be hectic, especially considering you are in the middle of a school year. We have contacted surrounding schools and have informed them of our incident. Two schools have responded back saying they welcome you with open arms. They are currently fixing their schedules to support more students. Those two schools are Winston Public School-which you all know is affiliated with this school, and Jackson Public School. Both schools would make great choices but we do encourage you to make a decision soon. Schools need notice in advance to properly prepare their classes and teachers. We thank you for attending Winston Academy and we hope that you find the right school for you," he turned around and exited the stage.

The silence in the gym was deafening. We knew it was coming but it was still shocking to hear. We were really switching to public schools.

I called my mom to tell her the news. She and dad weren't as excited by the fact that I would be reuniting with the male population. We were supposed to be having a meeting about this after school at Alex's house with Jenny, Brit and Alex's dad to discuss which school we should be sent to.

I pulled into Alex's house twenty minutes before we were supposed to arrive. I mainly wanted a chance to tell the girls that I wanted to attend Jackson High, not Winston so we could do damage control.

I raise my hand to knock on the door but then I hear Alex's father. He sounds furious.

"Alexis Danielle Jackson, you better start explaining right now."

"Daddy, I swear I wanted to tell you but-"

I didn't hear any words next but I wish I would have, because instead of words I heard a slap followed by Alex sobbing.

"You are nothing but a whore like your mother. Get your shit and get out of my house."

His voice was cold. I had never heard Mr. Jackson sound so threatening. Alex's mother left when Alex was five because she fell in love and had a baby with someone else. So I know Alex is upset over being compared to her mother.

I opened the door and grabbed Alex's hand.

"Come on, we can have the meeting at my house. We will come back for your stuff later." I said as I ushered her to the door.

Mr. Jackson called out from behind us, "Yeah and keep the slut over there, too. I don't want her back here," and slammed the door.

I called to inform the other two girls of the situation and to inform them that the meeting had changed to my house. When we walked through the door mom and dad looked at me confused.

"Honey, I thought the meeting was at Alex's?" mom asked apparently not catching on that Alex was upset.

I discreetly shook my head no. "Mom, we are just going to have it here. Can I talk to you alone for a second?"

We walked to the kitchen while dad entertained Alex. I could hear him telling stories of the days when he was young. His "golden days".

"Mom, Alex ispregnant and herdadkickedherout." I really have a problem with rushing my words when I'm nervous.

"Oh my gosh. McKinnley, are you sure?"

"Well, I was there when he did it, so yes. His exact words were "keep that slut at your house".

Mom looked just as hurt as Alex. She wiped away a tear and told me to go bring Alex to the kitchen.

"Alex, honey, you can get your stuff and stay in our guest bedroom if you want to. You do not have to tolerate being called the things you were called today. I know that your situation is not ideal but you are not a slut."

Alex nodded gratefully and went back into the living room.

When all of the others made it to the house for the meeting we quickly decided on Jackson High. Much to our surprise, the parents didn't argue about it either.

So it's official...Monday I will be a junior at Jackson High, the school where I was caught making out on stage. Jenny, Brit, Alex and I have all decided we are making t-shirts. On the back will be our message to the students of Jackson High.

Look who's back bitches.