Chapter 24

"Huxley, might I have a word."

"Of course, Miss Rhodes."

He followed her into an empty sitting room.

"I'll just get right to it then. I was speaking with one of the stable boys, Jerimiah Cloves."

"Good lad." Huxley said.

"Yes, I thought so too. He said he overheard Reggie speaking with Liam about the best way to startle a horse."

Huxley's eyes widened in surprise. "Indeed."

"Yes, it seems more than clear the two were working together. What I'm not sure about is, was it Reggie's own idea to try and get rid of Lord Salisbury? Or did someone put him up to it?"

"Reggie is not a very smart man, Miss Rhodes." Huxley informed her.

Emma nodded, "I've gathered as much. Do you think his mother is that diabolical?"

"It's possible. She has always wanted Reggie to be Earl." Huxley relayed.

"But would she resort to murder?" Emma asked.

"That I cannot say."

"Are they planning on returning to Lavender Hall? They must know by now that Lord Salisbury is recovering and did not in fact die?"

"Yes, I wrote to his Aunt Isabelle." Huxley revealed.

"And did she reply?"

"She said, 'that's nice,' and that they planned to stay in London through the winter."

"Unbelievable," Emma muttered.

"Yes, she's always been rather cold and unfeeling." Huxley sadly admitted.

"Right. We'll see what else I can find out. Also, we need to hire a tutor for Jeremiah. I promised him we'd give him an education."

"And Lord Salisbury agreed to this?" Huxley asked, surprised.

Emma smiled. "He will."