Epilogue ☽︎ A Second Chance

SEVEN YEARS LATER

SEVEN YEARS LATER

"DADDY!"

Our teething five-year-old jumps out of her nanny's arms and rushes towards me. And I grab her, in classic Daddy style.

Madeline.

That's what we called her the moment we laid eyes on her. When we decided to try for a baby, Kim was in tears, telling me she wanted to try but also telling me she was fucking terrified. I quickly assured her that I wasn't in a hurry to have babies and that I understood her and everything. But she insisted that she wanted to try. So she got off the pill and we gave it a try, and in a couple of months, we were in the bathroom with a peeing stick. Two lines and she gasped, rushing into my arms and clutching at my clothes and crying. And as months went by, she adjusted, and her stress visibly reduced. She moved from being fucking terrified to being excited to meet out baby. And we did, I was with her every step of the way until we met the beautiful girl I'm holding in my arms right now. My second chance, our second chance.

"Daddy, you need to get dressed for mommy's exbet!" She grabs my face and I nod. She's been struggling to pronounce exhibit and I don't correct her, learning is a slow process and she's just five, she'll be fine.

Kimmie is having an exhibit tonight. And I'm excited, she's been drawing for years now and she's finally ready to show the world all her art. And she's been away all day to make sure everything goes great.

"Yes sweetheart, Daddy's going to get dressed now," I grin at her and I kiss her cheek and I carry her to my room.

"Nanny and I went strolling today and some girls were saying you were hot," She says, her eyes observing me. She's a curious kid and she asks a ton of questions. "What does it mean for you to be hot, daddy?" She whispers. "Is it a bad thing?"

Oh boy.

"No honey it's just something grown-ups say," I tell her and she arches her brows in confusion. Yep, I'm screwing this up, Kimmie is definitely better than this. Maddie however, senses my confusion and asks me something else, "When are we going to see grandma again?" She refers to my mom of course. Kim's parents made it perfectly clear that they didn't want anything to do with us, and while Kim put on a brave face, she cried the entire night but then she woke up grateful to have my Mom. Mom and Maddie get along in a pretty great way and it doesn't surprise me whenever Maddie asks about her grandma, she's got the best grandma in the world.

"Grandma is going to spend Christmas here so you'll see her," I say and she grins up at me, playing with my hair.

I set her on the bed and I search my drawers for something casual and I turn to face my partner in crime. "Do you think Daddy will look good in this?" I show her my choice of clothes and she grins at me.

"Yes, Go Daddy!" She yells out, pointing to her slogan t-shirt that says, "IT'S MY MOMMY'S EXHIBIT" while mine says, "IT'S MY WIFE'S EXHIBIT."

Maddie is distracted with my phone so I change my clothes and I lift her in my arms and we head downstairs to our driveway. I place her in the passenger seat and she makes a cartoon voice, "Seatbelts on," she winks at me too. God, my baby girl is definitely going to leave a trail of broken hearts when she's older.