The Deathly Hallows

"Y/N."

The whisper came from a dark corridor near the Astronomy Tower, and he only followed it because it was unmistakably Hermione's voice. That probably wasn't the best policy. Anyone would be able to lure him to danger just by faking her voice.

She stood behind a statue, nearly blocked entirely save for her hair. When he saw her, his shoulders let out all of their tension.

It had been a couple of days since anyone had seen her, Ron, or Harry. The three of them had been entirely blacklisted at Hogwarts. If a student saw any of them, they were supposed to report to authorities.

But here was Hermione. He obviously wasn't going to report her. He'd been worried about her.

"I'm glad I caught you," she whispered. "Thanks for being so consistent with your schedule."

"Yeah, 'Mione, of course-"

"I don't have much time," she said, glancing up and down the hallway to make sure they had no visitors or eavesdroppers. "You know they're after us. I just couldn't leave without seeing you."

"Leave?" His heart dropped. "Where are you going?"

"We're on the run, Y/N. Everyone is after us. The Ministry is run by bad people. Dumbledore is dead. We have nowhere to go that's safe," she took a breath. "We have to kill Voldemort on our own."

"Woah," he felt like the air had been knocked out of him. Hermione was leaving? They were doing this all on their own?

"And I just wanted you to know where I was."

It seemed like she wanted to say more, but she just looked at him, tears welling in her eyes.

"I'm sorry," she said.

"No, I'm sorry."

"I really like you, Y/N. If I could as you to come with us, I-"

"Can't you?" He knew this was going to come up. And he knew he wasn't letting her go alone without a fight.

"I...I don't know," she stuttered. "You could die. I can't ask that of anyone. Ron, Harry, and I, we...have an agreement. We've had it since we were eleven. I can't just ask something like that of you."

"I want to come with you." More than anything, he did. He would follow her wherever she went, whatever that meant.

"Y/N..." she seemed on the edge of tears.

"I'm coming with you, okay? I'm not going anywhere."

She looked at him, long and hard as if analyzing him closely.

"Alright." She took his hand and led him through the passageway behind the statue. When they reached Harry and Ron outside of the Hogwarts grounds, she didn't let go.