Chapter 2

I was in the kitchen helping my mom unpack some stuff when I hear the doorbell ring. I answer the door and see those two boys from across the street standing at my front step. "Hey! Did you just move here?" One of the boys said. "Yeah! I used to live in Michigan." I say. "Oh, cool! So what's your name?" The other boy says. "I'm Kayla. What are your names?" "I'm Austin." Says the boy with the adorable backwards hat and basketball shorts. "And I'm Alex." Says the boy in the cute beanie and sweatpants.

"I see you've brought me something?" I say smirking. "Yeah well, I thought we should give you something and make you feel welcome in your new neighborhood." Austin said as he handed me a plate of cookies. "Aww! That's so sweet! Thank you!" I say. "You're welcome." They both say, smiling. I offered for them to come inside. "Sure!" Austin said. "I can't right now, sorry, I have to go eat dinner." Alex says. "Oh, that's okay." I tell Alex. "Maybe tomorrow! See ya round!" Alex says, and walks back across the street to his house.

"Come on in!" I say to Austin. "Well thank you!" Austin says smiling. We walk into my house. We run into my mom in the kitchen and I introduce Austin to her, and I could tell she was so glad that I already might have a new friend here in the neighborhood. I set down the plate of cookies on the kitchen counter. Then I gave him a quick tour of the house and we headed to my new, empty room.

"I love your room!" Austin said sarcastically. I rolled my eyes at him and smiled. "Shut up." I say. He laughed. We just sat there and talked a whole lot for about two hours. He was adorable and so sweet, but I can't fall in love with him already. No way. I'm positive he doesn't feel the same way. Besides, we just met.

"Kayla! Can you please help me cook dinner?" My mom yells from downstairs. I look over at Austin and he has a sad look on his face because he knew he had to go home. I look at him and give him the same sad look he was giving me, mocking him. "Sorry, I have to help my mom, I can walk you back home though." I say. He smiles and says, "Okay! Come on!"

We walk back outside and go across the street. We arrive at his front door and he opens it up and goes inside. "Well, see ya later! Maybe we can hang out again soon!" I say. Austin says, "Definitely!" And then I turn around and start to leave, when I feel him grab my arm. I turn around, looking into his gorgeous hazel eyes. "Hey, one question." "Yeah?" I say. "What's your number?" He smiles. I smile back. I give him my number and walk back home. He is so cute. We pretty much hung out the whole rest of that week and I slowly began falling for him. This is not good. He doesn't like me back, and I know it.