Chapter 14

It was taking longer than Ox had hoped for things to return to normal. Even after a week, dolls hesitated about going to the Big World again. Their kids had to be worried sick over where their dolls had gone. None of them felt ready, and they were scared. Eventually, it had reached their understanding that the reason behind the recall was that dolls weren't returning from the Big World. None of them wanted to add to that already high number by risking a trip through the portal and potentially not coming back.

But those worries were pushed to the back of his mind, anyhow. He couldn't keep away from Lou's side long enough to try and find a solution to the aforementioned issue. As soon as the doll became unresponsive, they transported him to the doctor. He was assigned a room, and he'd lay unconscious for the whole week.

Needless to say, they were unprepared for any injuries like this. Nolan's stitching had to be the best that could be done to improve Lou's state. There was rarely a severe case in their town. Maybe a loose string or a twisted ankle—nothing that couldn't be given time to heal in the comfort of their own home. To Ox's knowledge, they'd never had an unconscious doll.

"You can leave if you need to," Mandy spoke softly in the chair across from him. "I know you've gotta run the town, too."

He sighed, "I don't think I'd be able to focus." She looked back over to Lou on the cot. "Besides, I wanna be here when he wakes up." Mandy wasn't ignorant of how Ox's voice had wavered at that statement. They were all clinging to what little hope was left.

They felt awful for Nolan. The brunette was curled up against Lou's side, arms draped over the blonde's chest. Tear stains on his cheeks barely had enough time to vanish before he would be in tears again. Even Moxy's relentless attempts to cheer him up with sweets and games hadn't done any good. Mandy wondered what had transpired between them in the time before she came into the picture to get Nolan so attached. Of course, she, too, felt nearly driven to tears every day that passed that Lou didn't wake.

They all had somehow become attached to him.

There were a few knocks on the door before Moxy, and the others walked in. She set a plate of red velvet muffins down on the counter. "Fresh, homemade sugary goodness to lift your spirits!" She beamed, holding one out on display in her hand. "Wanna try one, Nolan?"

He shook his head, "No, thank you." His voice was quiet.

"You haven't eaten much this week," Mandy pointed out. She grabbed a muffin from Moxy and walked over to him, rubbing his shoulder, "At least try to eat something."

"I'm not hungry."

She watched him for a second, frowning. Slowly, she set the muffin down on the end table and lifted herself onto the cot beside him. "Y'know, Lou would be getting on to you for not eating anything, and he'd probably tell you that you shouldn't be hurting yourself like this."

Nolan's lip quivered, "I'll wait till he tells me so himself."

"You're missing out," Mandy sang. Her fingers danced on his side, and he swatted her hand away. "You love red velvet."

"...It's alright." He felt her fingers tickle his side again, and he just barely contained a giggle, "Stop, Mandy, I'm too sad to be happy."

Moxy rolled her eyes, "Now you sound like Lou. Don't be dramatic. He'll wake up soon. I know it."

"That's the muffin talking," Nolan mumbled and nuzzled closer to Lou.

"No, it's not." She hopped up on the other side of the cot. "Give him more credit. I mean, think of everything he's done! He's survived having a tracker pulled out of him. He was the only one who could open the door to Greyson's office. He saved my life in the recycling—"