The sick.

The night of January 27, 2024

🏃

"I have to leave right now."

"Well, you have an appointment tomorrow."

"Cancel the plans then!"

"Stephen, this is an important rendezvous."

"I'm really sorry Jake, I have an urgent problem. My friend needs me."

The argument with my manager lasted 10 minutes.
I'm on my way back to Texas.
There's a big chance that I'll no longer meet Paula.
She was a big help to the success of my life. I have to thank her.
The airport station looks big, but somehow I made it to the flight very fast.

"Stephen! Where are you?"

Pedro called.

"I'm on my way! Please tell Paula to hang on tight!"

"Stephen, I'm afraid you won't make it."

"No! I will! Can you at least hand me to her?"

This time, the flight is about to depart.

"Ok, wait!"

There was a moment of silence.
I can feel every tingling sensation from the desperate need to talk to Paula.

"Stephen? It's me."

She sounded really sick; she could barely talk.

"Paula!? Thank you very much. You didn't mention you were sick!"

"I'm sorry... I don't want to be a nuisance to you. "

"Have you read the news?"

"Yes, I'm so proud of you, Stephen" she coughed.

"I wouldn't make it if it weren't for your help in the first place. The whole album is dedicated to you!"

"Oh that's so sweet, thank you."

"No, I should be the one saying that to you. So thank you very much, for every moment we've spent together when I moved back to Texas. You healed me during my darkest moments after Alice broke up with me. You were the reason why I started playing music again. You are the reason why I'm successful and I owe my life to you."

"That's very thoughtful of you! Believe it or not, I'm not the only person who contributed to your success. Remember, it was Alice who started everything. You started writing love songs because of her. You moved to California because of her. You discovered your talent because of her."

It was weird to hear Paula's voice being on Alice's side.

"Please don't be silly. She cheated on me. She had another guy. She should never be credited in the first place."

"Ok, I get your frustration towards her. But I need you to listen to her side. I guess she was afraid to tell us. I believe there's something more than meets the eye. Maybe there's something you don't know about her. There's always a reason. "

"How do you know that?"

Paula was acting as if she was Alice.
As if she's the one who cheated.
She's very eccentric sometimes.

"I just know. Listen, there's a brown box under my bed at my new address. I gave Mark the exact location. It's wrapped with a purple ribbon. I want you to know what's inside there."

She coughed so hard after the sentence.

"I will, Paula, please hang in there".

There was no response.