Chapter One--Avon Calling...

The picture on the side is Tawny. I couldn't find a better pic, so I'll have to draw her later. But just imagine her like this until then.

__________________________________________________________________________

"Avon calling..."

I sat in my Aunt Peggy's car listening to her sale's pitch for the thousandth time. I loved her, but sometimes she was just too sweet. These neighbors were a bunch of pricks. She needed a firm hand and some backbone to sale anything here. I looked lazily out the window to see another door slam in her face. With each time that happened today, I got a little more pissed off. It took all I had to stay in the passenger seat and not go give my aunt's neighbors a piece of my mind. 

Sighing, my Aunt dropped herself into the driver's seat, just sitting there for a moment,"It's just not my day, Tawn."

I smiled sympathetically before taking her tweed suitcase for her,"I could always buy your products, Aunt Peggy."

She smiled her sweet smile, brown eyes soft,"You're such a sweetheart, but that's unnecessary. I'll be fine."

"Are there anymore houses to hit?" I asked when I caught something in my rearview mirror.

"No, not that I can think of."

"What about the mansion on the hill?"

Aunt Peggy tweaked her mirror to see what i saw, thought a minute and responded," It's worth a try."

With that, we were off. While I wanted to help my aunt, I selfishly wanted to scope out the large, creepy house. I had ever since I came to theis pastel hell hole. With each passing second, we got closer to our destination. Our yellow car pulled up to the grand, ominous gate. We both got out of the vehicle in awe at the enormity of the building. The gothic build, and arches were simply beautiful. My aunt gingerly pushed ehrself through the lowhanging vines and I followed behind. The courtyard we stumbled into had to be the most magical thing I'd seen in my short 16 years of life.

Bright-colored flowers that seemed to come from every which way, and every bush was shaped into a different exotic animal or figure; a giant, hand-shaped fern took center-stage in a marble fountain.

"It's so beautiful," she whispered.

All I could do was nod as I innocently plucked a lavendar tulip and placed it behind my pierced ear. We continued rather reluctantly toward the front door, leaving the garden of wonder behind. Unsucessfully, Peggy knocked on the great wooden door.

"Hello? Hello?" Came my aunt's unanswered calls.

Eventually, I just easer the door open and my aunt called out a few more times. I openly gaped at the breath-taking interior of the mansion Everyhing was so spacious, yet so perfect. Stone statues and figurines guarded the entryway and the beginning of every staircase. A large, complicated maching existed on the opposite side of the room. At the sound of snipping, my trance was broken and i headed toward a stairway without thought, like I was being drawn somewhere. Peggy was close behind me calling up and attempting to gain a reply for her question and statements.

"Tawny, you should be careful not to overexert yourself," she warned me in a motherly tone.

"Auntie, I'm fine," I assured her as we continued on.

I could feel my chest tighten almost painfully and my breath became shorter. I knew that warning sign and I spared no time to whip out my inhaler and relieve my lungs.

"I told you. Now stay here and rest while I see what this is all about," she reprimanded me.

I only nodded and coughed a bit into my hand before taking another puff. I could hear her rambling about aerobics or something as I continued at a slower pace. When I finally came to the top,  I was surprised, once again, by the enormity of the attic space and also by the gaping hole in the shingled roof. My aunt was busy perusing a wall of posters, newspaper clippings and pictures hanging over a sad-looking shredded cot. I think I was the first to notice the shadowy figure in the far corner with something peculiarly sharp in his hands.