Chapter 1

King Draven Blackwell pulled on his coat, eyeing the snow falling quickly outside of his bedroom window. It had been teasing him all morning.

His bedroom door opened, and he straightened, spinning around to find whoever would dare come into his only private space. He had a large ass castle, yet this room was the only one that he felt was his own. He hated it when it became contaminated with the outside world.

"My King, you can't go out in this weather," his advisor warned. Orion was a whiny bitch and always up in his business.

"Do not tell me what to do," Draven warned. "Leave my bedroom. You know it is off limits."

"Yes, of course. I am so sorry, Your Highness, but you have a meeting with the council in an hour, and-"

Draven stepped forward, crowding the stuttering man's space. Orion immediately stopped talking, bowing his head.

"I told you to fucking leave. I know when my meetings are. You do not have to remind me." Draven was tense. His broad shoulders were squared, as if he were preparing for a fight. Mostly, he just needed fresh air.

"I'm sorry, Sir," Orion whispered, genuinely apologetic. "It's just my job."

"I hired you to do what you were told. Don't cross me again, Orion, or we will have problems. I never want to see you step a fucking toe in this room again. Do you understand?" Draven's voice was low and stern, threatening.

"I understand, My King." Orion could not have left fast enough. Draven was certain he pissed himself, and the thought almost amused him. Almost.

It took him no time to venture out into the fresh air. One of his other favorite spots on his property was the stables. Most of the horses were for the guards, but there was one in particular that Draven always looked forward to seeing.

"Leave," he demanded to the lone stable boy who was cleaning the stalls. "Take a break. Warm in the house and come back in an hour."

Frost was a stunning horse with a glimmering grey coat frosted with specks of white. He was Draven's mothers horse, and who Draven would consider his only friend. He could see him aging, and it saddened him greatly. Frost was Draven's final connection to his mother, and he tried to spend every moment he could spare with him.

Draven stepped into the stall. The horse snorted a bit, the hot air from his nose creating small white clouds. Draven pulled the heavy blanket from his back.

"Hi, buddy," Draven whispered, finding a soft brush. He ran it along the horse's silky coat, and Frost nudged him in appreciation. "How are you feeling today? I know the cold doesn't do you well."

Frost gave him another nudge and Draven ran his hand along his snout.

"I promise as soon as the sun comes out, we will go on a ride, okay?"

Draven finished his grooming, offering him some carrots as a treat, before covering him back up. He gave him some more pets, before leaving the stall.

He glanced at the looming trees just north of the barn. He was tempted to go out there and get lost, which wasn't possible since he had done that so many times before. He knew the woods inside and out.  He wanted to wander for hours, but unfortunately he only had fifteen minutes.

He despised having people invade his home like it was a museum, so he held all meetings in one of the front rooms that had large tables and benches like a hall.

The council was already seated, talking quite noisily amongst themselves. Draven could already feel a blistering headache rush through his temple.

The room quietened as his stepped through. Everyone in the room stood, bowing respectfully for their king. Draven hated it.

"Please be seated," he said, moving to his spot at the head of the room. Orion was next to him, ready for whatever he may need.

He glanced at the small group of men and women elected by the people of his kingdom. They were a solid bunch, very kind and respectful despite their differing opinions. He enjoyed most of their discussions, especially when they didn't involve him. This was not the case for this meeting.

"You are free to speak," Draven said. "First, I would like to know why this meeting has been called."

"Your highness, the kingdom and the people are thriving," one lady announced. She was older, with silver hair tucked away neatly from her face. She had a warm personality that Draven tended to drift towards. She was the only one of the group of five council members that wasn't stand off-ish.

"We have fresh numbers that show increased jobs and employees, and all of the rates are good, really good, " the man next to her added. He had a stack of papers in front of him that he flipped through has he spoke.

Draven's father was a twisted, selfish bastard, but nothing compared to his grandfather. The two kings before Draven were greedy, miserable shitheads that only ever cared for themselves and their riches. They never cared for the people or the land, and that had always been Draven's mission, to fix their mess.

He was not happy about the role he had been forced into, but he was the only person that had the power to make real change and imorove his people's livelihoods for the better, and he was proud to make that happen. He hoped his mother would have been proud of him, too.

"Good. I look forward to reviewing the data," Draven said. That was just typical things though, nothing that required a meeting out of their normal set dates. He was suspicious, and his frowned deepened. "Tell me why you are really here."

"My King, we are worried about you," the kind one spoke, a sincere smile warming her features. "You are thirty years old, and in this castle of a house all day, alone with only a horse to keep you company."

Draven huffed, trying not to let the shame he felt bubble up. It was not his fault. It was his life, one that he had no choice in. The people that wanted to be around him only saw dollar signs and status. He would much rather keep to his own company.

"I can see to my own business as I please," he said sternly.

"Of course, Your Highness," one of the others spoke. There was no maliciousness in any of their tones. For the most part, they seemed genuinely concerned and that irked Draven greatly. "We do not wish to overstep, but we think it is time to reinstate a monthly gathering."

"A party," Draven concluded. "Say it as it is."

"It could be open to everyone in the kingdom, and we can provide food and music. It would be good for everyone."

Draven liked the idea of feeding his people. That is why there were so many options in his kingdom for people to get meals for free. No one should ever be hungry.

"I will only agree if we can get full meals. No frilly finger foods and expensive champagne. I want kids to come too, so it cannot be too late in the day."

"What about a brunch?" Orion spoke up from where he was scribbling something down on his piece of paper.

Draven appreciated the idea. Brunch would be way easier to conjure for a crowd then dinner.

"I like brunch," he said. "I want something for the kids to be able to do while they are here, some kind of activity."

The council noted his wishes.

"I don't want to be set up to meet with any particular person. I want to be able to go as I please."

"Of course, King Draven. We will send a proposal to the planning committee and get everything in motion for a brunch before the end of this month. Thank you for meeting with all of us on such short notice."

Draven nodded in appreciation, telling Orion to see them out.

He would do anything to be around his people more often. He loved that part of his job. He did not always hang with Frost. Occasionally he would venture out into the streets and into the markets. Out there, in the real world, it all felt much more alive than his stale life.