Chapter Nine

Chapter 9

The desert outpost was a collection of rough stone buildings straddling the road to Gort. It was a depressing stop on the way to an even more depressing place. An outside well stood near the road, offering respite from the effects of sun and sand.

They were making good time. This was the second of the two outposts on the desert highway. Keris reckoned they should be at the fortress in less than a day. Boxx appeared to be adapting well to desert conditions. More importantly it seemed able to keep up with her. She realised that its pace had increased when she had taken the time to explain the purpose of their journey across the desert.

“If We Are After, Your Friends Will Die?” it asked.

“Well they’re not exactly…yes, they will die.”

“Then We Must Arrive Before.”

Keris travelled as fast as she could, using the flying cloak. Boxx was a dark figure, loping along the highway below.

She landed a hundred feet or so from the outpost and walked up to the guardhouse. Boxx trotted up beside her. She hammered on the door. It opened, and a soldier with dishevelled hair and open tunic stood in the doorway. He looked annoyed; then his face changed to surprise as he saw the cloaked figure standing before him.

“Keltar?”

Keris concluded that the man must be dim-witted. “Your name, soldier.”

“I am Geole.” The man was rearranging his clothing into a semblance of order. “My apologies, Keltar, we did not know there was to be another one.”

“Another one?”

“Another Keltar.” She stepped into the guardhouse, and Geole noticed for the first time the Chandara behind her, standing on its hind legs. His expression changed again, to one of pure distaste. “What is that?”

That is none of your concern, soldier.” The creature dropped to all sixes and waddled inside. “Who was it who was here before?”

The man looked confused as if she were asking a question she should know the answer to. “Five Keltar were here yesterday from the keep at Chalimar, headed for Gort. They are expecting some sort of disturbance there.” He added, “You were not aware of this, Keltar?”

“Of course I am aware. That is why I am journeying there now. I will rest here during the midday period. I require re-supply.”

“Of course, Keltar. I will see to it at once.” The soldier’s gaze took in the figure of Boxx next to her. His brow furrowed, and he seemed about to say something, then thought better of it and left.

Five Keltar. If I don’t get there first, they won’t stand a chance.

~

The fortress of Gort rose above the desert sands, exuding an air of pure malevolence. Its walls were constructed of huge stones, with dark gaps like eye sockets. Battlements and pointed iron stakes were a crown of sharp horns. Massive doors of wood and iron stood open like a mouth stretched wide, its appetite insatiable.

It was a chained beast, devoid of all mercy and compassion, a symbol of tyranny and oppression.

Shann looked up at it, and a shiver ran down her spine. Lyall was silent. Even Alondo seemed to have been robbed of his usual ready humour.

Finally, Lyall broke the mood. “Come on.” He turned and walked back to their makeshift camp. The others followed in sombre moods. Light from Ail-Gan was waning in the east.