1. Child of Land and Sea

Dear Ms. Harrison,

On behalf of California State University Long Beach, I am delighted to congratulate you on your acceptance of our 2026 program. As you know, CSULB has a rich history of academic excellence, and we review the many hundreds of applications we receive with only the highest standards. Your conduct, and the wonderful letters of recommendation and other contents of your application, lead us to believe that you will make an excellent addition to our program here at CSULB.

Enclosed with this letter, you will find all the forms for your enrollment. Please fill them out and return them to us no later than May 1, to ensure your spot and facilitate the enrollment process. If you have questions or problems, please contact us at the information below and we will be happy to help in any way we can. We look forward to hearing from you.

We hope that you accept the honor of enrolling in CSULB with responsibility and dedication to reach your full potential. We also hope that you experience the satisfying and fulfilling educational progress that you have always dreamed of. Thank you for choosing California State University Long Beach for your continuing education needs.

Yours sincerely,

Keith Norris

Admissions Department, California State University Long Beach

✵✵✵

Seventeen-year-old Cassandra Dillion could not stop the smile that split across her face.

The teenager re-read the letter twice more before she began to tremble.

"I got in..." Cassandra whispered, then she turned to the car awaiting her. "DAD! I GOT IN!!"

The Black man waiting in the silver Toyota Corolla Cross stuck his head out of the window. "You did it, Nadia!"

Gripping the letter, she ran to her father and waved it in the air. "Out of all that dam waiting, they finally sent it!"

"I was wondering what was taking so long," he said.

"Me too, all my other friends got their letters already. Well, you know what they say, the best always comes last or..."

Cassandra snickered. "Dad, that's not at all what people say. You're showing your boomer age."

Her father put a hand to his heart as if he was wounded. "See, you say such cruel words, yet who is going to get your graduation present? Suddenly, I'm forgetting about going to the Toyota dealership and buying a 4Runner..."

Cassandra sat up in her seat. "Wait! No! I'm sorry!"

"Oh really?"

"Yes! Dad, I'm sorry! I didn't mean it!"

Her Dad grinned. "Oh, I'm sorry, what did you say? Didn't quite hear you?"

"Dad! I said that I was sorry! No way are you not buying me that car!"

While most kids her age wanted a Lexus, a Bentley, an Audi, or even a Rolls-Royce; Cassandra didn't want a luxury car. Her dream ride was a Toyota 4Runner, and it was for many reasons.

The main thing was that it was very reliable and could last decades if it was taken care of right. It was also quite spacious and versatile, able to go from the concrete of the city to the beaches not far from their home.

"Please, please, please," Cassandra begged. "I swear I won't say anything like that again!"

Her Father grinned. "Okay, okay. I suppose that I can forget this grave insult, but it's going to cost you..."