Chapter 11

They hit the trail at a fast gallop. Knowing the terrain, the young woman took the lead. Travis was close behind her, trusting her to have a plan. Working their way up the opposite direction of the riders, they eventually swung up a dusty draw looping back. They would cut the posse off before the canyon entrance.

Tucking the horses back among the trees the two crept forwards, settling among the scrub brush and rock. Taking positions about thirty feet apart, their trail from several hours ago lay before them. It was not a long wait. Perhaps half an hour they heard the soft voices of men drift from the tree line. They were arguing.

"He's got hisself a horse! I told you there was someone else up here with him!" Red recognized the voice as belonging to Jet Fennell.

"If you hadn't messed up with the hangin' we wouldn't have this problem! I told you to just shoot him, but no!" Isaac Ludlow replied in a deep snarl of frustration and worry. He'd never braced Red Rivers directly for good reason.

"It don't matter! We got a job to do, and Rivers has to die! Quit jawin' about it and come on!" The nasal voice was from Pat Barnes, and though he didn't sound it, the man was incredibly tough when pushed.

They came into sight, the other riders silent behind them. The hired guns varied in size, killers who wanted to get paid, regardless of who the target was. Barnes was in the lead when Rivers put a bullet into the dust right under his horse. The animal jerked and reared up; his underbelly hit by chunks of dirt. Throwing Barnes from the saddle as the report echoed across the rocks, the gelding bolted, startling the other horses.

Taking her cue from Travis, she shot a man from the saddle who was reaching for his rifle. He let out a thin cry and swayed in the leather. The bullet made a small cloud of dust puff from his vest before he hit the dirt. Startled, Red glanced at her. She lay focused, her fierce gaze on the men she meant to drive from her land.

Confusion broke loose as men grabbed for their guns and started to scatter. Ludlow jumped his horse for the trees, firing wildly, his bullets wide and ineffective. Dropping another man, seeing red blossom above his belly button, Faith burned Fennell across the back with a bullet as he tried to flee. Whipping his horse into the rocks, the big man threw himself into cover. Two of the hired guns had located the shooters among the rocks and scattered fire at them.

Rolling over and crawling ten feet to her right, Faith let loose a volley of shots. It kicked dust into the eyes of the small man on the ground as he tried to make for cover. As Travis kept the other men busy with steady gunfire, her quick eyes spotted a tall man quietly covering ground as he tried to approach unseen. Shifting, the rifle barked in her hands, blasting splinters from the tree into the man's eyes. His cursing could be heard from where she lay as he clawed at his face.

The men still in the open were firing blind. Travis coldly shot them down, the Henry rifle working smooth and fast. Pumping the lever of his rifle again, his lips twitched in a dark smile. Barnes was in the open, the others having scattered for cover. None made it without feeling the sting of hot lead. From his position among the trees, Jet Fennell called out loudly.

"Red! That's you I know it!"

"Yeah, it's me!" Rivers shouted back. "You came huntin' trouble, Fennell! Get more than you bargained for?"

"You got yourself wanted, Red! This ain't gonna end well!"

"It wasn't murder!" He roared, angry at the accusation even though it wouldn't make a difference.

"Either way," Jet taunted. "That was the last notch on your pistol!"

Furiously insulted, Travis took aim and put a bullet into the brush where he knew Fennell was hiding. The man started cursing loudly and bitterly, the leaves thrashing as Fennel lost his temper. Red smiled knowing he'd drawn blood. Served the loudmouth right!