We Couldn't Leave Without You

"We could have been so happy," Will says, trying to fight back tears. Thinking about Abigail was always painful.

"My love." Hannibal squeezes Will's shoulder. "I hope you realize that things with Abigail wouldn't have turned out that nicely."

Will visibly deflates. "I know," he mutters, "but I like to imagine it."

"She was miserable. She wanted nothing more than to be with her mother. Every day that she was with me, she became more and more withdrawn." Will catches a glimpse of grief in Hannibal's eyes. "She wasn't safe anywhere, except for in death."

"I sometimes think about if we could have made the world safer for her." Will toys with a loose thread on the couch. "Eliminate the people who wanted to see her put away."

"You mean Jack."

Will makes a noise that is somewhere between a laugh and a sigh. "You know me well, don't you?"

"I told one story. It's your turn to tell me one." Hannibal smirks. "Tell me about Jack Crawford."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You were supposed to leave."

The words escaped Will's mouth in a raspy whisper, his voice stolen by despair. Right before his eyes was a girl that he believed for months to be dead, and behind him was the first and last person that he wanted to see. Leave it to Hannibal to disobey orders. Leave it to Hannibal to make things as painful as possible for both of them.

Will finally faced him. His features were shrouded in shadow, his face dotted with blood. His hair, typically clean and swept back, was now glistening with sweat. His clothes were covered in blood, and yet he appeared to be invincible. He was made of strong obsidian.

He regarded Will for a long moment, taking him in. Will knew he was a mess, vulnerable and afraid. He didn't like to show that side of himself to Hannibal, but he had no other choice right now. To put on a brave face would be to lie.

"We couldn't leave without you," Hannibal finally said, his voice husky.

Will felt an unfamiliar pang in the center of his chest. Hannibal had every chance in the world to leave, and yet he waited just for him? He risked everything in order to accommodate Will's arrival? He knew there was something suspicious about the entire thing, but he couldn't set aside his feelings for his common sense. He loved the thought of someone putting everything on the line just to be with him.

Hannibal reached up and placed his palm on Will's cheek, his fingers lacing around his ear and stroking his hair. His skin was cool and dry despite the circumstances.

Will could think of nothing better to do than to return the gesture. It was clearly unexpected; Hannibal's stoic expression crumbled for a moment as he felt Will's hand on his face. Will stared into his eyes, which had softened.

They had both noticed the tension in Hannibal's office the past few months, the touches that stretched past friendly. The way they exchanged personal details, sharing parts of themselves that they were afraid to show the rest of the world. Will had chosen to ignore it, for being with Hannibal was a possibility he didn't want to entertain. Their entire relationship was built on manipulation, on hurting one another.

And yet, Hannibal was here. He had the capacity to forgive Will; perhaps Will could find the capacity to forgive him. Hannibal had ruined Will's desire for any other relationship. His brain was consumed by the thought of this man and this man alone.

All of this time spent yearning for companionship, and the only person he'd ever truly needed was right here. He'd waited for him. He'd waited.

Will lunged forward and kissed him.