Chapter 28

Chapter 28: Roasted Cockatrice and Harpy Pudding

They travel to the forest and hang the cockatrice on a thick enough branch to drain its blood. The snake’s tail is tied at the base to prevent blood from spilling out and then severed.

Leonhardt and Dee went off to look around while Lysette stayed in the barrier and watched the cockatrice’s blood drain.

Alone with the cockatrice, Lysette is thinking.

To pluck its feathers, she would need to gently boil it in a pot to open its pores. However, Lysette’s frying pan will not accommodate a cockatrice of this size.

Lysette ponders.

—How about digging a hole and boiling water in it? But, given the labor and sanitation implications, I’m not convinced. even if the purification magic is capable of cleaning it up.

Leonhardt and Dee return while she is thinking about this.

“Welcome back—how did it turn out?”

“Only cannibalistic plants exist nearby—we got rid of them.”

“The only edible items are some strange berries and an egg.”

“All right, that’s fine. Thank you very much.”

Lysette was overjoyed when she received two large green berries and one large egg.

The berries’ skin was thick, and the insides were dense and heavy.

She places it on a clean spot on the floor and eagerly awaits its opening.

“What kind of egg is it? A cockatrice egg?”

“Cockatrices are only supposed to be male.”

“How do they breed…? nevermind I’m not interested in knowing.”

Leonhardt sighs in response to Dee’s words.

“Oh yeah…! It appears to be a rooster, but it could be a female!”

“Don’t take this seriously. I don’t really care…”

Lysette’s face lit up as she accepted the egg from Dee.

“Ara? This egg appears to be a Harpy’s egg.”

It was the same Harpy’s egg she had purchased from the Dwarf merchant in the second layer and eaten for French toast. They were most likely nested in the forest.

“I’m hoping Kanatsuchi-san is doing well…”

—I’m curious if he’s still selling his wares… I wonder if his unicorn hooves sold well.

Dee was secretly talking to Leonhardt next to Lysette, who was reminiscing.

“Harpy… Is that one? Did you eat it?”

“…”

“Seriously?! Do you eat those eggs?!”

Leonhardt stares in the opposite direction and does not respond.

The Harpy, a bird-like monster with the head of a female human, has been a common sight since they arrived in this layer. Only the face appears human, but the rest of the body is animal.

“A bird monster, the harpy. This is due to the fact that it lays eggs. They taste like regular eggs, so don’t be concerned if you eat them.”

“O-Oh…”

Meanwhile, the blood draining has been completed.

Lysette decides to use a combination of fire and water magic to open the pores for plucking the feathers.