ɴɪɴᴇᴛᴇᴇɴ

𝗖aycee lay with her back to Kaedyn all the way on the edge of the bed

𝗖aycee lay with her back to Kaedyn all the way on the edge of the bed. She pulled at the grey sheets mindlessly as tears rolled down her face. Yesterday was hard, but waking up today and remembering everything that happened was like a slap in the face – it felt worse.

She couldn't get the image of August on the ground out of her mind. It was like every time she blinked, or closed her eyes, there he was. Dying. Dead. Laughing just seconds before. If only she hadn't been so picky about her food choices – maybe then they would have been in the car and driven off. If she didn't keep them standing in the middle of the road, then maybe they wouldn't have been such easy targets.

She wiped her face as she felt Kaedyn stir near her. She knew that he's been awake just as long as she has; it was obvious. She felt bad for him – just barely. While she kept him all night, she knew that it was probably some type of due diligence. There was no way what happened yesterday was just coincidence – he had something to do with it.

Willing herself to keep her voice strong, she pushed and spun in the bed, coming face to face with him. His dark blue eyes, heavy with sleep, widened when he noticed her decision to turn toward him. She opened her mouth to talk to him, but closed it once his hand reached her face, brushing her tears from the corners of her eyelids, and off the bridge of her nose.

He must have been doing it without thinking because a moment later he was recoiling with an apologetic look on his face. In her mind, she didn't mind – she wanted him to touch her, and she wanted him to like her, but after what happened, she didn't know if she could ever look at him the same way, despite how his touch made her feel.

"I need to ask you something," she whispered.

He pushed his hand under his pillow, lifting his cheek up a tad, "What is it?"

"Promise to be honest with me?"

After a second of hesitation, he nodded, obliging.

"Did your job have something to do with my brother's death?"

Kaedyn studied her face for a long minute. For that length of time, he did not show anything on his own features that what she was asking was the truth. Alas, the more time thawed his indifferent expression, the more she could see that she was correct in her thought process.

He turned and laid flat against the mattress, playing with the rings he never took off last night.

"Yeah," he breathed lastly, "Yeah, it did."

Caycee didn't know what emotions she was feeling as she sat up. She huddled her legs into her chest and stared at the white wall in front of her as she processed them.

Was it anger? Was she mad that the one person who helped her get her brother back, was the same person that got him killed in the end? Was she mad that the one person she actually felt somewhat normal around was the same person she couldn't really look at anymore?