Chapter Thirty-Six - A Little Bonding

*LEILA*

It had been three days since I killed the three men who ruined my life and made me live in fear.

When everyone beside Lorenzo learned what I had done, they were shocked. But they were so proud that they asked me so many questions about what exactly happened, especially Mateo.

"I am so proud of you, mi hija," Mateo said that night.

In some way, I felt so happy that he was proud of me because I never had someone who was genuinely proud of something that I had done.

Three days later, I was sitting in the bedroom, playing with Cindy, when Rio came in and asked me to go on a date with him.

"Baby...I want to ask you something," Demetrio started nervously. "We...we haven't gone to a d...date, and I would like to take you to one. Would you...go on a date with me, my love?" he said, and let me tell you, he was too cute.

"Mhmm..." I acted as if I am thinking, "Let me think about it," I replied but quickly did and said, "I would love to go with you on a date, Demetrio Gonzalez."

He kissed me on the lips and a huge smile plastered on his face.

He looked so happy.

"Tonight, be ready at 8," he said and walked out of the room.

* * *

I made my way downstairs after taking a shower and doing my hair. I was wearing a beautiful simple off-shoulder red dress, and my hair was up in a ponytail.

"Buenos Dias," I greeted Valeria and Callie. Callie and Mateo had been coming to Lorenzo's and Valeria's home every single day to see me. They did offer me to come and live with them, but I was still not too close to them to go and live in their home. Besides, I couldn't leave Rio even if I wanted to.

Mateo and Callie didn't like the idea, but they had to let it go because naturally, they didn't have a say didn't in my life.

It was still awkward to be around Callie and Mateo, but we are making progress. Weirdly, I am more close to Adam than the parents.

"Buenos Dias, Leila," they replied in unison.

"How are you feeling?" Valeria asked worriedly.

"I am much better today, thank you," I replied politely, smiling.

"So, I heard that you have a date tonight," Callie teased, making my cheeks turn pink.

"He told you that fast?" I rolled my eyes playfully.

"He was excited," Valeria giggled and we joined her.

"I am too, but I am so nervous."

"Why?" Callie asked.

"It has been ages since I went on a date and I don't really know how to act or what to wear," I replied nervously.

"We will help you, don't worry," Valeria said and Callie nodded approvingly.

"We have to go shopping," Callie said, standing up and clapping her hands together.

* * *

We spent 4 hours shopping. I told them that I will never go shopping again, especially not with them.

They bought the whole store and bought clothes for Mia that would fit her until she turns five.

"We know we went overboard, but we were so excited, Leila," Valeria whined, making me roll my eyes.

"I know...It's okay," I chuckled, shaking my head.

"By the way, Leila, can we talk?" Callie spoke up after a silent moment.

"Sure," I said.

We went to the kitchen to talk while we made something to eat. I wanted to eat anything with beef and Valeria volunteered to make me something.

"So..." I started.

"I...I wanted to say that...I know we aren't close, yet, and I know it will take a lot of time before you get used to us, but we really love you, Leila. From the moment we saw you, even before learning that you are our daughter. I just...we just want to spend more time with you and if you are comfortable, I'd like you to stay at our house for a few days so we could know each other."

"I...I am sorry I have been non-cooperative. It has been so hard to accept everything that's going on, but I really want to get to know you too, so, okay, I'll stay at your house for a few days," I replied. Her face formed a genuine smile and her eyes sparkled with happiness.

"I am so happy to hear that," she said and hugged me, taking me off guard.

I hugged her back and for the first time, I felt the love of a mother.

* * *

5 hours later, I was ready for my date with Demetrio. I was wearing an elegant black dress that reached my knee. My hair was down in waves and my makeup was very simple. Callie and Valeria wanted to help, but I told them that I wanted to do it myself. I didn't want to waste their time when I could do stuff like those.

"You look so beautiful, my love," Rio said as soon as he saw me.

"Thank you, baby."

After we said our goodbyes to Valeria and Callie, we hit the road.

I was very nervous, especially since I hadn't been on a date for a very long time. But the thing that made my nervousness fade a little was how comfortable I was with Rio. He made me feel safe. I felt myself with him and that was all that mattered.

We had been on the road for 20 minutes. Rio wanted to take me to a special place he had always wanted to take me to.

"Can you at least give me a hint?" I whined like a child.

"No."

"Please, Rio. Please."

"No. Besides, we arrived," he replied.

I looked around and all I could see were trees and forest, and a sudden flashback hits me.

Italy-forest-Giovanni-prison.

"You know I ha-"

"I know. I want to make new memories with you here, so the old ones vanish." He cut me off gently.

"I don't think I can do it," I nervously said.

"Do you trust me?" he asked and I immediately nodded.

"Then don't worry." He smiled and stepped out of the car. He walked to my side and opened the door for me. I stepped out hesitantly and he took my hand in his.

We walked towards the forest until we saw a small house, or should I say cottage.

I love cottages, I thought.

"That's beautiful." I was amazed by how simple and amazing it was.

"I am glad you liked it." He squeezed my hand.

He opened the door with the key he had in his other hand and motioned for me to go in first. The cottage was so warm and the vibe was calming and relaxing.

There was a small bed in the corner, a small fridge, and a couch...all just for us. There was also a table in the middle with fresh food on it.

"Who made the food?" I asked.

"My mom and yours." He smiled. "My men got them here 5 minutes before we arrived."

He took out the chair for me and I sat down after mumbling a thank you. He then went to his side and sat down.

We started eating and the food was not just delicious but beyond that. It was exquisite. I was not sure if the pregnant Leila was saying that because I happened to like every kind of food, but the look on Demetrio's face looked like he was satisfied.

He enjoyed it too.