18. The not-so-friendly partner

In the office, Beilbe was talking to someone on the phone.

"Ah, yes, that would be nice. I'll meet you there... okay, I have to go, bye."Saying this to the person, he put down the fruity phone.

"Ah, Jack, and doctor. Nice to meet you."

Gwen was out of her mind because of Robert's death. She wouldn't control her anger now, if Beilbe starts talking rubbish.

"Ah! I heard about our doctor Robert's death. It's tragic that we lost the one who caused this case..."

What a stupid thing to say this was! He was basically blaming Robert for causing the whole case!It might've been true, but one couldn't say such a thing.

Luckily, Gwen kept quiet.

"And Ah! Doctor, I think you should go back.... as the one who you came to assist is dead."

Gwen tried to be as polite as possible, and said softly.

"But, sir, I have to involve in the investigation. Dr. Robert told me that if anything happens, I should be --"

She was interrupted by the Chief.

".... no buts, doctor. I've thought about it, and my decision is final. I don't want to hear anything about it, because, you see, I'm the chief here, and I have the sense of right and wrong, and so when it comes to --"

Gwen did not keep quiet now. Her outburst of anger should've become an internet sensation, but it didn't.

"SHUT UP, you dog! I'm sorry for my language, but you've been talking so much trash that I cannot help it. What kind of person talks like you? You are the chief of this place, not a tourist. As a neuroscientist, I've seen many brains, but none of them like yours. How can you ask me to go back, you fool?! If anyone knows as much as Robert, that's me, you Dumbo! Have you ever done some real work, pig? Do you know how serious the situation is? Do you? Take off all your rubbish paintings. I know you're trying to fake your style. You are no more than a buffoon. Go ahead, tell everyone you got to hear this. Go ahead, you cannot do anything. And if you interfere with my work, I swear on your face, I'll go to the President if I have to. So, keep your trash-mouth shut, and do some real work. And remember, talking on the phone doesn't count!"

Jack was amazed, because Beilbe was actually scared when Gwen's voice raised so much. It seemed like the entire building went silent, just to hear her voice penetrating every floor. It must have been such a relief for the employees.

She did not wait for Beilbe to reply to this, and she walked out of the office. She pushed the door so hard that it actually made a 'BANG' sound. She pressed the elevator's button, and when the doors opened, she entered, pressed a button and disappeared from the floor.

Jack was still standing near Beilbe, the disgraced Chief.

"Ah, so that's what she thinks, doesn't she? No problems. Officer Jack, I'm partnering you with another officer, Officer.... Fraus, Fraus... Caput. He'll be your partner, and you'll assist him. Do not ever come into contact with that doctor."

Jack did not take this seriously, but said, "Okay."

As he was about to walk away, Beilbe caught him, and said,

"Wait here, I'll call Officer Caput."

He took his fruity phone in his hand, dialed a contact named Caput and put the phone to his ear. "Come now, officer." he spoke and hung up the call.

After a few minutes, the officer arrived. He was a huge man, but he did not possess the smart appearance of a law enforcer. While Jack had neatly combed his hair, and had a clean face, this man had poorly maintained hair and patchy rough skin.

He saw Officer Jack, and shook his hand. Both of them looked at Beilbe.

"Now, you know what to do, Officer Caput." He turned to Jack and continued, "Officer Caput will take you to an important lead. Help him out there, Jack." Jack couldn't do anything but nod his head in agreement.

He followed the bulky officer to the basement, where his car was waiting. The bulky officer did not speak a word to Jack, and walked to a black car. He opened the door to the driver's side, and sat down to start the car. He looked at Jack, and said, "Get in."

Jack took the other door into the passenger seat.

As the car emerged out in the open, Jack attempted to spark a conversation.

"So, officer, what's this lead you're taking me to?"

The rude officer replied, "Just wait, you'll know for yourself."

After a few minutes of being driven around, the car was stopped inside a dirty warehouse. Obviously the lead did not want to be seen by anyone else, Jack assumed. As he came out of the car, he had a short walk, but he couldn't find any person anywhere. The warehouse was completely empty, but it was partially occupied by dust, which made Jack sneeze.

As he turned back to see the other officer, he noticed that he was opening a small bottle-like container, and with a few drops, applied its liquid like content on a piece of cloth.

He called to Jack, "Officer, here, we'll need this. Come here, the person we need to meet may try to resist, so reload your gun."

Jack obeyed, and he took his gun from his pocket, and reloaded it with a new magazine. He came near the officer.

As he came near, the other officer held Jack's hands roughly behind his back, and Jack tried to free himself, "What... are you doing, officer?"

But the officer did not listen, he forced the napkin on Jack's mouth, forcing him to inhale the liquid, and pressed his neck with his arm to choke him to death, but Jack stopped breathing temporarily, and acted as if he was dying and as if the liquid took effect on him. He slowly stopped his movement, and loosened his control on his body, and pretended to fall down in unconsciousness. The other officer let go of Jack, and Jack fell to the ground with a thud. He was fully conscious as he only pretended to have inhaled it.

As the officer Caput was walking somewhere away from the place, his back turned, and dialing someone on the phone and talking, Jack stood up quickly, and with his elbow, hit Caput's head so hard that he fell to the ground immediately. The phone was still on, and the call was not yet disconnected, so Jack put it to his ear, and heard,

"Antonio, Antonio, you did it? Is the fool dead already? Did you make him inhale that...? What the... why aren't you talking... Hey..."

It was Beilbe's voice.

Jack was shocked. He did not speak a word, and soon the call was disconnected. Beilbe, sounding nothing like the Beilbe Jack knew. His voice was more serious, but no fake style which he used to put while talking to people. Which meant, he had been faking it all -- the art lover never existed.

The 'officer' Antonio got up and took out his gun, but before he could pull the trigger, Jack shot him dead.

Jack immediately dialed Kelly with his own phone to let him know about this.

"Yes, Jack, why did you call?" Kelly spoke over the phone.

"Sir, the Chief, he's with the mafia, he had an officer put me down with the biochemical, I think. The man who Beilbe put with me, posing as "Officer Caput" was called 'Antonio', He's dead. Beilbe is the mole."

"That would explain why he wanted the SSD out of the investigation.... We have to do something very quickly. Remember Jack, Beilbe's position is very powerful. It will be very difficult to get to him. Now come to the HQ, we'll talk there."