My Little Bird. (One Shot)

This is an entry for my friend Never_Let_Me_Go's one-shot contest to celebrate reaching 400 fans! It's based on the song Little Bird by Ed Sheeran (one of my favorite songs by him, ironically) If you're fan of One Direction, you really should check out her stuff!<3

~~~~~~~~~ Liam's POV ~~~~~~~~~~~

I sit back and let the bright sun hit my face like a little piece of heaven. It's rare to have such a sunny day here in London. And there's no way I'd rather spend my day off than sitting beneath this gem and relaxing. That's what I plan on doing for the rest of the day.

I listen to the cars driving past the small little house that I bought to come home to on the days off. The large shrubs hide me from the outside world, giving me the privacy that I never get elsewhere. I do my best to savor it all, knowing that tomorrow night it's time to return to the large crowds and crazy performances. Not that I'm complaining, because I love my job.

Closing my eyes, I lay back in the lush green grass in my front yard. I smile, basking in this beauteous summer day.

But soon, I'm jolted awake with a frantic yell coming from the other side of the shrubs,

"Help!"

The need to help others growing strong in my gut, I get to my feet and hurry over to the gate in my backyard. I sprint quickly, forcing my legs and the rest of my body to wake up.

My bare feet ache in protest as I race along the hot sidewalk, turning the corner to see who was screaming for assistance.

I stop as I see a girl - around my age, I'd guess - kneeling below one of the trees peeking over my shrubs. Her soft brunette hair is pulled into a messy bun on top of her head. Some of the little curls have fallen out and rest against the nape of her neck. She glances over to me with her light golden eyes twisted in panic.

"What's wrong?" I ask, hurrying to her side, trying not to be side-tracked by her beauty.

I glance to what she's kneeling beside, forcing myself to look away from her face. A small, frail little bird lays on the ground, trying to flap it's wings to fly away. She sniffles as her eyes tear up, watching the wounded bird with sadness in her eyes.

"I think it's leg is broken," She explains, looking at me with tears welling up in her eyes.

I'm no vet, by any means. I don't have the slightest idea how to help this poor little creature, but the last thing I want to do is disappoint this girl even more.

"We could nurse it back to health?" She says, giving me a hopeful look.

Those golden brown eyes and soft smile of hers could make me do anything, and I've only just met the girl.

"I live right here," I explain, "Come inside and we can try to help it," I nod, bending down to scoop the frail little bird up in my hands.

She lets out a sigh of relief and stands up with me, walking close to my side. I do my best to hold the bird safely; not too much force that I'll squish it, but tight enough that it won't escape.

Out of the corner of my eye, I catch the girl eying me with curiosity. I don't blame her; I'm some stranger that's just invited her into my house, all alone. I could be some psychopathic serial killer that's been waiting for this moment all day.

"I'm Liam, by the way," I turn and smile at her. Her cheeks turn a light pink from being caught staring. It makes her look even more pretty, which I didn't think possible.

"I'm Alice," She smiles in return, walking even closer to me as I lead the way into my small house.

As soon as we enter the kitchen - the coolest spot in my house, for some reason - I hand the bird over to her carefully and go searching for something to lay it in. Luckily I find an old shoebox that looks just the right size for the small creature.