thirty

The hope I'd been harboring for some sort of miracle rescue died the moment Port Royal came into view. There truly was no going back now. My lips had been pressed into a thin line for so long that I was amazed that they weren't stuck that way.

Amelie and I were ushered into a carriage with Mr. Thompson and in a blur that I barely processed, we were approaching a large estate. The gate read Thompson and creaked open as we entered. Kenneth had his hand resting on my knee as we pulled into the courtyard. A small staff of people was awaiting our arrival, and I silently let myself be led into the home.

I kept my eyes downcast, not wanting to see the walls that would inevitably become my prison for the rest of my life.

Amelie clung to my hand as we stopped in the main hall.

"Bessie, could you please escort the young Miss Harlow to her chambers?"

A maid, not much older than I, ushered Amelie away, despite her protests.

Kenneth turned to me.

"Given the unusual circumstances, it is imperative that we are married as soon as possible. I've arranged for tomorrow afternoon."

Unable to resist, I looked at him.

"Have you... heard news of my father?"

He looked at me, distracted.

"Hm? Oh yes, while you were gallivanting across the Caribbean we received the news of his death. Almost a month ago. Your sister was quite put out."

With that, he left me standing in the middle of the imposing room, my heart crumbling. I'd known that it was coming, and yet I couldn't tamper the gasp that escaped my lips, nor the tears that quickly pooled and spilled down my cheeks.

Someone was holding my arm, the same maid, Bessie, and leading me into a separate wing, saying something about a guest bedroom. I didn't remember the journey to the room, let alone finding her in the first place. I shut the door before collapsing on the bed and praying for sleep to take me.

***

The next day passed in a flurry of activity. I couldn't bring myself to pretend to be the happy blushing bride that everyone was expecting, so I settled on a placidly blank demeanor that felt a little more manageable.

Amelie was ashen, dressed in a beautiful pink dress, matching parasol, and hair pinned up in ringlets. Despite it all, she still lit up when she saw me.

I stood in front of a floor-length mirror in my room, three maids hovering around me. The dress was floor-length, with a high lacy neckline and itchy sleeves. They'd pinned my dark hair around my head in a halo with a few curls escaping over my neck. The veil was pinned into the up-do, cascading down my back.

"Florence... you look..." Amelie trailed off, eyes welling up.

I wanted to smile, but the tightness in my chest was getting overwhelming, and all I could do was nod as the maids put the final touches on my outfit. Once they were finished, I turned around stiffly.

"Could you leave us for a moment?"

"Of course, miss. The carriage will be here soon and someone will come to get you."

I smiled as best as I could as they left.

Once the room was empty, I crumpled into Amelie's arms.

"We could stage an escape. I've been thinking about the trellis and we could use the veil-"

I cut her off with a shake of my head.

"It's okay. I'm going to be alright."

Her eyes shone with tears.