Sunflower Seeds

Beatrice's POV

"I've heard the steak here is to die for." I say trying to convince his stubborn self to think it's his idea to have steak to save poor Paul. He looks at me then down at the menu again. At last his eyes aren't glued to his phone.

"Sure whatever." He says practically throwing the menu at Paul. Charming.

"So tell me about your family George." I say with my brightest slime.

"They are wealthy. We dine here all together quite a lot. My mother likes it so it's become a sort of meeting place." He says still looking at his fucking phone. 

"Any siblings." I ask adjusting my dress to hopefully make my breasts more desirable to look at.

"Not really. He's the product of improper breeding on my Fathers behalf. He was born a few months earlier than me. He had to move in because his whore of a mother died. Now he's set to inherit the largest stake in my parents inheritance. He's a big hot shot lawyer." Jealous much?

"You should not use that language to describe people it's vulgar." I say defending the woman, may she rest in peace.

"Oh darling you're a feisty one. Save that for the bedroom would you." He says and I've never wanted to knock so one out more than I do now. But I'll just take the majority of his money and his business. Sam and I are aiming high this time.

"I- you're food is here ma'am" saved by the waiter. 

"Thank you" I say as the food is placed in front of me. It smells divine. 

I wait for George to to acknowledge that manners are a thing but instead he returns his food because he asked for well done even though he didn't even ask for steak in the first place. I wait for his food to come and once it does I hold my glass up to cheers but he's too engrossed by that phone to notice. He eats with his mouth open making the worst noise ever. I decide to take matter into my own hands. I excuse myself to the ladies room and as I do I 'trip' and knock over my drink right onto his phone and lap. 

"Oh my god darling I'm so sorry weak ankles." I say in a flustered tone. It really wasn't that believable but I thought no one noticed.

"Those ankles should be checked out." A husky voice says entering the establishment.

"Oliver what is the meaning of this." George says in a furious tone. It's as if his very presence is aggravating. Interesting. He pushes my out of the way so it's his brother and him directly in front of each other.

"Father sent me back to see if the new young lady your seeing is worth anything." Fucking twat.

"I'll have you know-" I was cut off by George. One would think the man hasn't got anything else left to say about himself. Well shock horror he has more. He just likes the way his voice sounds.

"She is good enough that I'm seeing her isn't that proof enough. I don't need you coming along to ruin things." He says looking proud of himself. No one knows why. I just like his money. He comes over to me and places a heavy arm on my shoulders. "In fact she's meeting my mother and father tomorrow." I am? I accidentally make a face.

"She is, is she?" He says looking me up and down.

"She-"

" I asked her, George." He says not breaking eye contact with me. I have a sneaky suspicion he thinks he's onto me. Well I guess I have to well and truly play the part. I turn to George and run my hand down his chest still looking at Oliver.

"I am." I say biting my lip.

"Watch those ankles Bea." What the fuc-       

"I told you he's a fucking nut job." He says as Oliver walks out of the restaurant. How did he know my name? This just makes things way more interesting. An experienced woman would see this as a threat made by a man who isn't often challenged. A threat none the less. A woman like me would see this as a challenge. May the best challenger win.

After that disastrous date I find myself at Sams home. James is home and is filling up a glass of wine for me. What a God send.

"You're a life saver James." I say to him smiling as he passes me the liquid that will completely alter my mood.

"The one and only." He says as he sits himself basically on top of Sam on the sofa in front of me.

"I knew it. He works at a rivalling law firm. I knew he was a lawyer but I didn't know he was a good one." He says putting his head on top of James'. They make me want to sleep on a motorway tonight. "Oh shit." He exclaims.

"What? Is he chronically insane? Crazy ex I can get to? Wait I've got it! He's allergic to raspberries!" I question.

"Raspberries?" James questions me in a sarcastic tone raising a perfect eyebrow at me. He is so perfect it's annoying. I love him to death though.

"Yes my love, you'd be surprised." I say in response.

"No although he is allergic to sunflower seeds." Sam says trying to stifle a laugh.

"Useless. Who is allergic to sunflower seeds?" I question lying down on my back like I'm in a therapy session.

"He worked closely with Daniel Jones." Sam says with a sorry expression. I don't even want to render that name.

"Oh shit husband number one." James says closing his eyes against Sam's chest.

"Mhmm." I say wishing to not recall the events that my 19 year old self endured. Especially with wine in my system.

"Well we know why he knows so much about you. Didn't Daniel call you a nick name like that?" He questions.

I'm still lying on my back when I get up and grab the bottle and start drinking it.

"Okay that's one way to be evasive." He says moving carefully, placing James' unconscious body onto the sofa. He grabs a blanket and puts it over him. He then comes over to me and snatches the bottle from me. "Because I don't trust you to not to do something foolish you're staying here for the night. You know where the guest bedroom is in the apartment. You've been here more than me and this is my home." He says rolling his eyes.

"Okayyy Dad" I say trying not to slur my words. Futile when faced with a bottle of wine running through your very veins. He laughs and I make my way slowly to the guest bedroom. I don't wait to be humiliated any more today.