Prologue

They stumbled down the hall together, eager to get away from the company of the rest of the pack, and even more eager to get one another alone in the dark.

He'd lost his overshirt somewhere in the hallways, uncaring that it was left behind.

They were too wrapped up in holding each other so tightly, it was almost painful. When they reached a door, he didn't even bother to check what room they were going into.

It was just the first one with a lock. He made sure to flip it closed as she yanked him in closer.

She smelled incredible. She had for days, and just the thought of having her to himself, finally, was enough to make his erection strain against the seam of his pants.

She was of much the same mind; despite her best efforts, she was drawn to him like water rolling downhill into the sea, and her desire felt as deep and powerful as the ocean.

She was drowning in it, and she was going to take him with her.

He would go with her willingly to their mutual destruction.

Bree Forrester's left hand tangled in Kieran Alder's dark hair, while her right raked fingernails down his side.

She could feel his musculature, the density of it, and he knew it. The two of them were pressed together in the darkness, but he could feel the lines of her body.

He could see her with his hands as they slid under her shirt.

Bree shuddered. Her thighs jerked open, then clamped closed. He laughed into her neck, and she bit at him with her little hybrid teeth.

"As though you could ever be Luna," Kieran said, his breath hot on her neck.

He'd made short work of her overshirt, exposing her vulnerable throat and collarbones. The more layers he tore away from her, the more his head clouded and spun, just as hers did.

"You? A hybrid with a child out of wedlock? What respectable Alpha would even consider taking you?"

"Seems to me like you don't care," Bree panted, pressing her body up as she tightened her fist in his shirt and pulled hard enough that they could both feel the seams straining.

He laughed into her hair, and Bree loathed him, the arrogant bastard—but the smell of him, warm and spiced, was overwhelming. "Seems to me like you'll settle for a hybrid with a bastard child."

He dragged her away from the wall, hands moving from beneath her shirt to fist in her red hair. She grinned up at him as they made their way to the bed, biting and clawing at one another.

She hated him, but resisting him wasn't worth it, not when they landed on the bed and his weight was solid and hot between her legs, pressing down on her thighs as no other man had ever done.

"You'd be lucky to be a whore," he snarled, biting at her lip as she dug her nails into the back of his neck. "Is that what you were doing, out there with those filthy humans? Whoring yourself?"

"Wouldn't you like to know," she snapped, even as she strained up toward his body. "Not that it's any of your business—"

Kieran's hands took both sides of her button-up and ripped it open. Bree nearly shouted, shoving at him so hard, she managed to get a thigh between their bodies and push him to one side.

He landed on his back on the mattress, and she leapt on top of him, whereupon he smirked at her, hands sliding around her trim waist.

"Just where I want you," he said. She reached out to slap him, but he caught her wrist and pulled her down to his body. She went, teeth gritted.