Chapter 6

I didn't know if I wanted to continue this story after vol 1, maybe because I thought  vol.2  would have had some answers to all my questions… But that wasn't the case so here I am.
This one will start from where I left: there will be spoilers about the last episodes so stop now if you haven't watched it.
Another spoiler (kinda): I strongly believe in the KAS theory for Eddie, so I'm going to write this with that in mind. Thanks to everyone for kudos and comments, I really hope you'll like this 💓

When they reached Eddie's van to go back to the upside down, Nancy's heart had climbed up  to her throat. 

Steve was the first to cross the portal suspended between the two worlds, and only Robin's presence kept her from giving a frivolous giggle at the way he landed on the other side. Really, she had lost count of how many times, in the midst of what seemed to be the end of the world, she had felt like a teenager on a high. And yet it was a feeling she somewhat missed.... Maybe because she had let it go too soon, or too abruptly. Probably both, she reflected, before letting the thought go with a shrug that no one noticed. 

She struggled to contain the dumbfounded grin that was about to take shape on her face, as Robin at her side rolled her eyes. "What, does he expect a round of applause?"

She turned to her, returning her gaze with a hint of a smile.

Then, with her help, she climbed towards the other world, landing not very gracefully on the mattress Steve had placed on the floor.

She immediately grabbed his hand, and without the slightest hesitation he pulled her up. He was… stronger than she remembered, and before she could realize it, they were face to face again. And this time too, as the many before it, she was the first to break eye contact.

She had never thought of herself as a coward. She could think of a lot of adjectives to describe herself -some better than others- but on no occasion did she ever think of herself as that. But when it came to Steve, well…

She was unable to hold his gaze. She had to let go. She needed to do it because she knew he wouldn't, she could read it in his brown irises. His eyes wouldn't part from hers:  they kept seeking her out until her knees were reduced to the consistency of boiled spaghetti.

And so she lowered her gaze again, moving to the side and letting Robin, Eddie and Dustin join them, one after the other.

The scheme they had planned had to work, because otherwise she didn't know what else they could do. Four steps. Just four simple steps.No setbacks. No mishaps. Everyone would play their part, and everything would go well.

Once they had properly collected their respective arsals, they left the van.

Dustin and Eddie would stay there, attracting the bats that protected Henry's house, and then.... Then she, Steve and Robin would go there and kill him.

"Take care," Steve began, looking first at Dustin and then straight into Eddie's eyes. "Stick to the plan. Lure them and then run," he said, punctuating each word with solemnity. "Don't be heroes."

"Easy Harrington," smiled Eddie with his usual mask of indifference. "It's not for us to be heroes."

No one replied, and Steve merely gave them a final nod before turning back towards the road they were to take.

As soon as he turned, however, Eddie called him back. "Hey, Harrington." His tone of voice, as well as his face, was dead serious. "Make him pay."

A shudder ran down her spine at those words, as in her mind the faces of Vecna's various victims followed one another. With her hands clenched into two fists along her sides, she took a deep breath, watching Steve mutter something to Eddie that she could not understand.