xvi. CARMICHAEL AND WHEELER.

xvi. two self-sacrificing idiots!

winifred darla carmichael didn't think that she believed in a higher power. she didn't think that one could exist as she laid in an alternate world, choking to death as she listened to her boyfriend's screams of pain. she didn't want to die at the age of eighteen, and she surely didn't want her boyfriend to die at the age of nineteen. steve still had a whole life ahead of him.

as she faded between conscious and unconscious, wendy heard muffled voices. suddenly, wendy felt tension fade from her throat as she gasped for air, feeling like her lungs could work again. the girl coughed out, she looked up to see what had happened. much to her surprise, she saw what had happened, or rather, who had happened.

eddie munson stood above wendy, an oar in his hand and one of the creatures next to her, disfigured. eddie held out his hand and wendy grabbed it, using all of her energy to stand up. she glanced up, seeing robin pull one of the creatures off of nancy wheeler's back while steve swung one to the ground, stepping on it and pulling it apart.

"steve!" wendy moved as fast to her boyfriend as she could.

"jesus h. christ!" eddie yelled out, annoyed at the fact that they had just fought for their lives.

"are you alright?" wendy touched her boyfriend's face then looked down towards his torso and saw multiple bite marks. "oh shit." she cursed, resting her hand on his waist.

"well, they took about a pound of flesh. but other than that, yeah, never better." steve looked at wendy. she had an emotion in her eyes that he had never seen—it was almost like a mixture of fear and sadness with a hint of concern, he didn't know what to label it.

"uh, do you guys think these bats have, like, rabies?" robin's voice sounded.

wendy and steve looked back at robin, wendy silently cursed to herself. if steve died from those bat bites, she didn't know how she would go on.
"what?" steve stared at robin.

"it's just that rabies are like my number one greatest fear and i think we should get you to a doctor like really soon because once the symptoms set in, it's too late. you're already like dead." robin rambled.

"oh my god, what?!" wendy's eyes were wide.
"goddammit. robin stop, you're scaring her!" steve sighed before grabbing wendy's upper arm. "wen, i'm not gonna die from rabies." he reassured.

the group heard squeals, causing them to look up. more bats had arrived to where they were standing.
"all right. there's not that many. we can take em, right?" steve stood, guarding the group behind him.

more squeals and everyone looked up. shit, wendy thought, more bats.
"you were saying?" robin sassed.

"the woods. come on!" nancy urged, she had tugged on wendy carmichael's shirt.

the five teenagers ran into the woods of the upside down, unsure of where they would end up.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

the coast was clear.

wendy felt herself sigh of relief as they finally decided they could stop crouching under the rock, the bats were gone.
"oh shit..." wendy heard from behind her, she felt her heart break as she watched steve harrington lean against a boulder.