Chapter 3

Back in the present day Gumball and Penny were laughing.

"She must have been so confused!"

"Oh, she was! She thought I'd just dived in for a swim or something!"

She laughed even harder. "In the mall fountain!? Why would you go swimming in there!?"

He shrugged. "I have no idea! You'd have to ask her that!"

They both eventually regained their composure and Penny wiped her eyes, sighing. "God, even back then you were still just as much of a goof as you are now. It's one of the things I love most about you."

He smiled, as he always loved whenever she complimented him.

"Why did you bring that up anyway?"

"Well, one, to reminisce about it, and two because..."

He put his paw in his pocket and pulled out a penny.

"A...penny?" She raised her eyebrow not understanding.

He grinned. "Not just any penny. Think about it."

She thought about it for a moment before gasping and putting her hands over her mouth in shock.

"No...no it couldn't be! There's no way!"

"Isn't there?" He smirked.

"The penny from the fountain...you...you still have it!?"

"Yup. Never got rid of it."

"But...why?"

"Why what?"

"Why keep a random penny you found in a fountain 8 years ago?"

"Well, think about it. I fall into a fountain trying to grab a penny only be to rescued by someone who just so happened to also be called Penny. Surely that can't have been a coincidence."

"Well, it's pretty ironic I guess but I don't really think there was anything more to it than that."

"I'm not so sure. I feel like it was fate or destiny or something that made sure we met. Like, it was meant to be. But, even if it was just a coincidence, this penny, this insignificant little penny, started us on this whole journey, put all of these events into motion which ultimately led us here. It's a symbol of our relationship. Of everything we've been through together, everything we will go through, good and bad. It's a testament to our love, and that..."

He then placed the penny in her hand and placed his paw on top.

"...is why I want you to have it."

She gasped "Are...are you sure!? I mean, what...what if lose it or damage it or-or-or..."

He placed his paws on her shoulders.

"I trust you. I know you'll look after it."

"I don't know if I can...it...it means so much to you..."