5. The Flea and the Acrobat

1983, November 8th - 7:43 am
You slid on your black outfit for the funeral. You grabbed your pair of black socks and slid them on. You sat on Nancy's bed, watching Mom zip up her dress.
"Here we go," Mom sighed as Nancy fixed her sleeve, "You look nice, sweetie."
Nancy looked at herself in the mirror.
"Anything else?" Mom asked Nancy as you tied your shoelaces together, "You can borrow my black heels if you want. The ones you wore to Cathy's birthday."
"I'm fine. Thanks," Nancy in a quiet tone.
"C'mon kids!" Dad yelled from outside.
You ran downstairs, nearly tripping. You held onto your satchel as Dad drove all of us to the graveyard.

"Fear not, for I am with you," Pastor Charles read, "Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you."
You stood next to Nancy as her eyes rested on the casket. You tore the thorns off the yellow rose Mom gave to you

"Yes, I will help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. It's times like these that o faith is challenged. How, if he is truly benevolent," He read, "Could God take from us someone so young, so innocent? It would be easy to turn away from God... but we must remember that nothing, not even tragedy, can separate us from his love. We are here today to find comfort, in the truth of scripture, and to surround Will and his family."

Everyone threw their roses on Will's casket. You look over at Ms. Byers and Jonathan to see no emotion displayed on their faces. You sigh as you walk around the graveyard, scanning the rose bushes.

"Hey Nance, come with me," You poked Nancy.
You walk over to Jonathan, he was holding a map and a marker.
We sat on the floor, behind a fence.
"This is where we know for sure it's been, right?" Jonathan pointed at the map.
"So, that's..." Nancy pointed on the map.
"Steve's house."
"And that's the woods where they found Will's bike, and... that's my house," Jonathan added.

"It's all so close," Nancy said in a quiet tone.
"Yeah, exactly," you said, "I mean, it's all within a mile or something."
"Whatever this thing is, it's... it's not traveling far." Jonathan looked up.
"You wanna go out there," Nancy said, looking up to Jonathan.
"We might not find anything," Jonathan nodded his head.
"I found something," Nancy added.
"And if we do see it," You said quietly. "we kill it."

You got up, lending Jonathan a hand up. He walked towards a car and started messing around with one of its cabinets. Nancy stood at the hood of the car, watching him.
"What are you doing?" Nancy asked impatiently.

"Just give me a second," Jonathan muttered.
He pulled out a gun from the cabinet.
"Ooh, that's a nice one," you laugh, giving Nancy a shoulder nudge.
"Are you serious?" Nancy shouted while looking at us.

"What? You want to find this thing and take another photo?" Jonathan said as he stuffed bullets in his coat pocket.
"Yell at it?" You added.
"This is a terrible idea," Nancy crossed her arms as Jonathan closed the car door.

"You don't have to come," you look at her, "Besides, it's the best we've got. You can tell someone about this, but they're probably not gonna believe you."

Jonathan got up, organizing the bullet boxes in his coat.
"Jonathan's Mom would," Nancy said.
"She's been through enough," Jonathan said.
"She deserves to know," Nancy looked at Jonathan.
"Yeah, and I'll tell her, when it's dead."

Nancy furrowed her brows.
"Okay, see you soon, Jonathan," you smile, grabbing Nancy's arm.
You head to the lodge room with all the food.
"Y/n, what if, we can't kill it?" Nancy asked, pushing you away.
"I don't know, run?" you joke.