TWENTY-FIVE

"Guys," said Jessamine, her voice coming out feeble—but coming out, nonetheless. "The thing... it's talking to me again."

Both Avery and Jamie ripped away from the apparition of the house and flipped to her, eyes wide and mouths agape.

"What's it saying?" Avery reached for her hand, but didn't take it in his, only patted it.

"That I... shouldn't go into the house. Shouldn't even look at it, or get out of the car." She gulped, sensing a weird bulge in her throat; was she going to start crying, too, on top of all her other emotions?

"It's the house," said the possessor, reading and interpreting Jessamine's thoughts. "We're so close; too close. It's going to mess with your mind and play with your feelings. That's why I didn't want you to come here at all."

Jessamine snorted.

Well, too late for that, isn't it? And it's not like I can move the car without accidentally looking at the house, can I?

She figured it was best to reply to this being on the inside, where it'd have no trouble interpreting her words and hearing her clearly. She also didn't want Avery and Jamie to think her a nutcase who was talking to herself, though they both knew well who and what she was talking to.

"Actually," Avery retracted his hand, "I agree."

Jessamine and Jamie gawked at him in shock; until that moment, Jessamine had been certain Avery would take her up to the door and howl at it about getting Amy back in exchange for her. He'd said she was his compass—but in her panicked state, Jessamine felt more like a hostage.

"But I'll call you when we're inside, if I have service." Avery unbuckled his seat-belt, urging Jamie to do the same. "So you can overhear everything that happens... if anything."

The possessor didn't object to this, so Jessamine nodded, keeping quiet. Avery busied about gathering things from the trunk, and Jamie shined his flashlight all around the area, marching around the vehicle and scanning the clearance they'd parked in.

When Avery was done, he handed Jamie a rucksack, then pulled the straps of his backpack over his shoulders. He knocked on Jessamine's car window, motioning for her to lower it.

As she pressed the button, the being inside groaned, muttering something about "this better be quick, you're exposing yourself," but Jessamine ignored it as best as she could, clenching her jaw, pressing a hand to her stomach.

"Will you be okay?" Avery raised his eyebrows as he peered into the backseat, as if expecting to see someone sitting next to her. He placed a hand over the window and leaned forward, his gaze finding Jessamine's, connecting with it.

A jolt jarred through her, causing a plethora of shivers, illustrating how not okay she already was. "Just hurry," she said in a loud, raspy whisper. The thing in her was draining to begin with, but now that it was communicating with her, re-animating, it was sucking up her energy faster than a vacuum.

Avery gestured for her to get closer to him, and she did, but not without difficulty and pain. He cupped her chin, his thumb caressing the bottom of her cheek as he glanced from one of her eyes to the other, slightly squinting. He sucked his lips in, rubbed them together, then gently placed them on Jessamine's, offering her hesitant warmth, reassuring comfort. A quick kiss for luck, courage; and hopefully not one of goodbye.

As he pulled away, Jessamine caught Jamie in the background, failing to hide his surprised expression, but he otherwise said nothing.

"Stay put, and hang tight," said Avery, with one last brush of his fingertips over her skin. The sensation awakened all the vibrations and pulsations she'd experienced with him not a night ago. "I'll be back soon, and, let's hope, with Amy, and some answers on how to get that thing out of you."