Chapter Three

Mare

A Skonos rushes to my side, but the damage is done. The knife clatters to the ground in silence, all eyes on the gash still dripping red blood. The cameras click off, but I turn them back on. May all of Norta know.

May Maven pay the price.

You will pay first, Little Lightning Girl.

Elara's eyes pierce my skull, and for a few moments, I forget how to breathe. Stupid. I'm a stupid, stupid girl who's doomed every newblood on that list.

"What is the meaning of this?" Lord Volo has abandoned his chair, shoving the Skonos aside to inspect my shoulder. "Have you scorned my daughter for a red rat?"

Maven steps in front of me, brushing him off. "You misunderstand. There are no rats at this table. Mareena is abilitied as any Silver, and no scratch can change that."

An uproar ripples through the crowd, and I find myself edging closer to him. He said I didn't have to pretend to love him. That might have been a lie.

"You don't deny it." Volo glares at us both. "You've been lying to us for months, and would've continued to lie far longer. What is she?"

"Something we don't yet know." Maven's voice is grave, a warning. "Patience, Lord Volo. The hasty eater chokes on his meal."

Around us, nobles murmur and shift, torn between siding with the new king or chancing an upstart with Volo. They'll tear each other apart

Perhaps this wasn't a mistake after all.

"Forgive my impudence, Your Majesty." Lord Iral's voice holds no shame. "But what does this mean for House Titanos? Is she an imposter, or merely an . . . abnormality?" His nose wrinkles. "Red blood pouring from a Silver line?"

"No." My voice startles me, a rasp more suited to a witch than a queen. "I'm not your long lost aristocrat. I'm not some jewel raised in mud you get to scrub away and never mention again. I--"

"That's enough." Maven frowns, fingers one twitch away from snapping. "My apologies, Lord Iral, but your questions must wait." He sighs. "Answers will come in the morning. For now, we ought rest."

"A brilliant idea." Elara's eyes return with a vengeance as she squeezes my shoulder. "Come, Lady Titanos. You must feel quite unwell."

The cameras no longer pulse, my ability silenced. My mouth refuses to open. Refuses to object when her hand clasps around my arm. Refuses to cry out as she drags me to my chambers, nails digging to the point of blood.

"You made this wound yourself." Her voice echoes in the hall. "Do not expect us to heal it."

I scream.

No one listens. No one dares to defy Elara's orders. No one ensures I haven't ruined what little I bargained for. I might as well not exist.

Then an arm wrenches me to a coal black stare and furrowed brows, to Evangeline studying my shoulder with rapt intensity. "So it's true." Her grip tightens. "You bleed red."

I pry her off, raking nails across my palm instead of her face. "Barging into my chambers, are we? Blonos must be rolling in her grave."

Her eyes narrow. "Mareena, if that's even your name–"

"It isn't." The words rush out, a truth I cling to as all else crumbles. "My name is Mare Barrow."

Evangeline pauses. Her gown has reshaped itself to armor, clinging to her skin as if anyone would dare attack her. Strength and power, I'm learning, are easy to threaten. Easily shaken by those who fight back. "Mare." She makes it sharp as an insult. "He called you that. Said it was a nickname."

"A private joke." From a man who must hate me, no matter my reasons. No matter the crimes he himself has committed. "A bit reckless in hindsight."

"He knew."

"They all did." Secrets slip to the floor and shatter, a vase I've always yearned to break. "Calores lie as they breathe. Especially to their brides."

She laughs. "Did you think otherwise?"

It cuts deeper than it should.

Evangeline studies my expression, squinting as I turn away. "You did, didn't you?"

"Mind your own business."

"Everything is." She waves a hand. "You'll drown if you take him on your own."

"Is that an offer?"

She sniffs. "You wish."

My hand is caked in blood, flaking as I haul myself upright. An injury like this would've cost my family hundreds of tetrarchs to heal, weeks of pickpocketing better portioned to food. I've no idea where they are now. No idea if Elara will unleash her anger on them. "You weren't at the banquet."

Evangeline pauses. "I don't see how that's relevant."

"What were you doing? Must've been important."

"Focus on yourself." She gestures to my shoulder with a scoff. "Go to a healer already. You're ruining the floor."

Nails dig into my palm. "I can't."

That catches her attention. "What do you mean, 'can't'?"

"Go ask Elara. It'll end well, I promise."

"Hmm." She studies her nails. "I suppose you'll have to tough it out."

I grit my teeth. "Always have."

"That remains to be seen." Her gaze softens. "Go cry to Maven; I'm sure he'll get you some medicine."

My blood turns to ice. "I'd rather die."

She chuckles. "That can be arranged."

"Why are you still here?" My shoulder burns as I almost spit at her, another trickle of blood flowing past my palm. I should have bandaged it already. Would have, if I were in the Stilts. "Whatever you want, I don't have it."

"I go where I will, Little Lightning Girl." The blades of her armor shift, flowing to a ball gown once more. "What was your name again?"

What should've been an insult gives me the strength to rise. "Mare Barrow."

"Hmm." She leans against the doorframe. "I'll call you that next time we duel."