Chapter 5

Zipora's POV:

After leaving the cafeteria, Katrina said she wanted some Mario's Pizza for lunch; I didn't mind as long as I could get some food. I'm happy either way.

We decided to walk there since it was only a five minute walk from the school. On the way there Katrina starts to apologize for what happened in the cafeteria.

"I'm sorry for what happened back there, Louis can be such jerk," she says shaking her head

Stopping mid step I turned to look at her "You don't need to apologize, it's not your fault he's like that," I tell her. "I don't why he has such a problem with me anyway, it's not like I bumped into him on purpose." I say rolling my eyes starting to walk again.

She stays quiet for a bit before speaking.

"It's not just you he has a problem with...it's more like your skin color", she says so quietly I almost didn't hear her.

I stared at her wide eyed, "Wait...so you're telling me the reason he's such a jerk to me is because I'm black?" I ask her with disbelief on my face. She looks away shaking her head yes.

You've got to be kidding me, I think to myself. This whole time it's been because of my skin color, something I have no control over.

I stop walking, looking up at her, already dreading the answer to my next question, " Does Diego feel that way too," I ask her hesitating a bit hoping he doesn't and it's just Louis who feels that way.

She looks at me and sighs, "He's not as bad as Louis, but he does have some feelings towards black people." She tells me with a disapproving look on her face. I don't how I should feel about this new information, the one guy I have some interest in is a...racist?

Not knowing what to say I continue walking with Katrina following closely behind me silently.

"He's not a bad person... he's just been through a lot and doesn't know how to handle it". She says with a sad look on her face trying to reassure me.

"By being a racist?"' I ask her with a dead look on my face.

She sighs, running her fingers through her hair, "Diego just needs time..., he'll get better I know he will." She says with a determined look on her face " And Louis... just needs some help." She says laughing.

I laugh right along with her nodding my head agreeing, that boy does need some help.

Walking into Mario's Pizza still laughing, I noticed it's a little crowded but thankfully it didn't take us long to get our pizza.

I got two slices of meat lover, while Katrina got classic pepperoni, can't go wrong with pepperoni.

Katrina pays for the food, as I go and save us a table outside.

I'm glad I decided to go to lunch with Katrina, it's been a long time since I had someone I can talk to other than my mom.

Katrina comes outside and we talk about why I moved and our family life, even though she only gave me bits and pieces of hers. I shrug it off, maybe she is not ready to talk about certain things yet it's understandable we did just meet today.

As Katrina was telling me a story about the time she punched this kid in the nose for taking her candy, I looked at the time on my phone seeing that lunch was about to be over. Telling Katrina we got up throwing away our trash and started walking to the school making small conversation.

Before we go our separate ways I ask Katrina one more question.

"Hey Katrina... do you really believe your cousin can change?" I ask her.

She looks at me and smiles, showing her pearly white teeth, "Of course I do, he's my family and family believe in one another."

Nodding my head I smile and say goodbye just as the first bell rings; heading to our separate classes, she waves goodbye.

I hum to myself, maybe Diego can change I think, but as of now I'll be sure to stay out of his way.

I don't need any more problems-

My thoughts get cut off as I run into someone, I got to start paying attention. This is the second time today.

Looking up, my eyes grow wide with fear seeing Diego looking down at me with a smirk on his face.

Oh God why me...