Chapter Five

The next day I requested to stay in the room while my family went out to the deck, not eager to go up there again. They all protested but I wore them down by saying, "Just let me sleep in. I'll catch up with you later."

I basked in the solitude of the room for a while before forcing myself to get ready. Because I'm not hiding.

Really, I'm not.

I opened the door, but only managed to take one step before a hooded figure barreled into me, knocking me back into the room.

Pushing him off of me, I tried to recall all of the survival tactics I had seen in brief instructional videos online. They were all jumbled. The only one I could remember was run.

But as he quickly closed the door behind us and turned back to me, I realized it was Gabe.

"What the hell are you doing?" I chided.

Gabe didn't say anything but lifted a finger to his lips, signaling me to be quiet. I studied his face in silence. He was concentrating as if listening to something. So, I listened too.

Footsteps made their way into my ears and then faded away again. Gabe let out a breath and pulled off his hood.

I folded my arms impatiently. "Care to explain yourself?"

He let out a small laugh, running a hand through his hair. "Lucky you came out when you did. I didn't know where to run to."

I raised my eyebrows imploring him to go on.

"Okay, I may or may not have done something I shouldn't have." After seeing my disapproving face, he quickly added, "And you just helped me get away with it, so you're my accomplice. You can't turn me in."

I sighed. "If I'm being dragged into this crime, can I ask what it is?"

"No."

I threw up my arms exasperatedly. "Oh, come on, you can't honestly tell me you don't want to brag about it."

His smile grew wide. "I switched the temperature of the pool to 95 degrees and then jammed the lock on the control box so they can't change it back."

"Gabe!"

"What? They don't have a hot tub! It's really not my fault-" Gabe froze as if something had just struck him. He cocked his head at me. "Are you afraid of pools?"

I blinked. "What? Why would I be afraid of pools?"

"Well, you're afraid of water, aren't you?"

I shook my head, a little offended. "I'm not afraid of water. I'm afraid of the ocean. There's a difference."

Gabe grinned, pleased with my answer. "Well then, get your swimsuit, and let's test it out."

"Your 95-degree pool?"

"My hot-tub pool."

"Won't they recognize you?"

"They didn't see my face."

"You're proud of yourself, aren't you?"

He shrugged. "I enjoy the thrill."

I sighed. "Fine. I'll go with you." I pointed to the door. "Now get out, I have to change."

He flashed another smile before backing out of the room.

I pulled on a 60s style gingham bikini and threw on denim shorts and a loose shirt on top. I put my hair up into a bun so I could have the option to keep it dry if I wanted to.

Gabe had run to his room and changed out of his black attire, so when I opened the door of my room he was standing there with green swim trunks and a T-shirt on. We made our way to the pool.