Heartless - Chapter Seven

HEARTLESS

CHAPTER SEVEN

I stood on the balcony, leant slightly forward into the night with my hands grasping the rails tightly, looking out at the city and the dazzling lights that filled every inch of it. There weren’t many buildings higher than this one, and only the imposing form of the Empire State Building was stretched above me. Joseph had always liked to be the best, and the venue for his annual Christmas party was no exception. He’d rented it specially, and the whole top floor of the building had been transformed into a glittering wonderland, crammed with all sorts of supernaturals, business men and excited plus ones.

The balcony, however, was relievingly empty. I tipped my head back, stretching my neck, and took a deep breath. I needed to compose myself before I went back in to the room. I just couldn’t handle the constant pretence of being who Joseph thought I was, or the incessant worry that one of the vampires would recognise me from my less than successful appearance at their hideout.

A hand settled on my shoulder, warm against my cold skin. “Where did you go?” asked Joseph.

I turned around, dislodging his hand in the process. He looked concerned.

“I needed some air,” I said lightly. “It’s crowded in there.”

“You should come inside. It’s freezing out here… the weather report said that it was scheduled to snow again. There’s going to be a blizzard. You’ll freeze to death in that dress if you stay outside.”

I glanced down at my short, sequined dress. The dress code hadn’t been as strict for this night, and I’d taken full advantage of it. It had been a relief to leave behind all the elegant long dresses that I had been forced to wear at other parties. I had loathed them not only because they were inconvenient, but because they were completely ridiculous. I felt more comfortable in the short dress, and I’d even managed to buy it with the few dollars that I’d found in the pocket of one of my more recent victims.

 “I’ll be fine,” I dismissed. “It’s not that cold.” I tried to ignore the goose bumps that had sprung up all over my skin.

He took hold of my arm, pulling me close to him. “Let’s go inside,” he insisted. “Where’s Luna, by the way? I thought you were with her.”

“She was talking with one of your work friends. I left her to it.” He’d been human, which I’d been relieved about, so I knew she wasn’t in harms way. Not that Luna couldn’t handle herself, of course. Even if he was been one of the supernatural, he wouldn’t last five minutes if Luna put her mind to it.

“Which one?”

I shrugged. “They’re all intimidating guys in suits.”

Joseph grinned. He must’ve had a few more drinks than usual, because he normally didn’t act so carefree. Even though I’d never admit it, I kind of liked this Joseph. “Am I an intimidating guy in a suit?”

I found myself feeling more relaxed, too. Maybe it was the fresh air, or Joseph’s levity, or the drink that I’d had on the way in, but whatever it was it made my guard drop.

“Yes,” I replied instantly. “But you’re a nice intimidating guy in a suit.”

“Suits me.”

“Nice pun.”

“Didn’t even think of that one.”

“You’re a natural.”

“We’re going inside.”

Sighing, I let him pull me across the balcony and through the double doors that led back inside. We were immediately engulfed in warm air, half central heating, half body heat. Christmas songs were playing softly in the background, overwhelmed by the loud chatter of the guests.