Chapter 22 - Our Night

Chapter 22 — Our Night

              "Today's the day." Madison sung as she skipped circles around me. "Are you excited? You've got to be excited. Tell me you're excited."

"I would tell you if you paused long enough." I laughed clamping a hand over Madison's mouth. I was promptly licked so I let her go and she continued to bounce. "You came over to do my hair and make-up so don't you think that's what you should be doing?" I rolled my eyes at her and she punched me on the arm.

"Come on then." Madison pulled me to the dining table where she had laid out what appeared to be copious amounts of make-up. She made me close my eyes and I sat there for what felt like an age while Madison did things with my face. I trusted her to do it well and not to be distracted. "OK," She said eventually, "I'm done with the make-up and I'm almost done with your hair so you can open your eyes." I opened my eyes which felt heavier with what I assumed was a pair of false eyelashes.

"I'm going to go and get dressed before you do the rest of my hair." I got up and went to my room where I carefully got into my dress before returning to Madison so she could finish my hair.

"Now," She said grinning, "Cinderella is ready to go to the ball."

"Finally." I sighed, "Can I see now?" Madison nodded and called Karen to join us. I stared at myself in the mirror Madison had brought. I could barely believe it was me.

"Brooke you look beautiful." Karen said hugging me. When she let me go she had tears in her eyes which she wiped away.

"Why are you crying?" I asked.

"I'm just remembering the first time we met and realising how far you've come." She hugged me again. "When I saw you that night I thought you might be already dead you were so pale and still. I was so happy that you were alive, I just had to help you."

"You didn't just help me." I said, trying not to cry, "You saved me. You, your family, you saved my life. I had all but given up on things getting better then when you found me I found myself in a real family for the first time in a long time and it just gave me back the will to live."

"You'd better stop talking before you cry," Madison said, sniffing a little herself, "Cause if you ruin your make-up I'll kill you." I laughed quietly and gave my best friend a hug. "Now come on I think the car just pulled up outside." Madison smiled and the three of us hurried down the stairs.

We arrived just as Ethan was getting out of the car. I stared because I had only seen him in his full 'son of a billionaire' get up only one other time and he looked seriously hot. I could see him staring at me, his eyes raking over my body and I felt myself blushing.

"I need to get a picture." Karen gushed pushing me and Ethan together.

"This feels like we're about to go to prom and this is your mom embarrassing us." Ethan mumbled making me laugh. After Karen had taken a bunch of pictures, some of which Madison had jumped into Ethan opened the door for me and we both got into the back of the car.

"Remember you have to drop me off at the front and then take Brooke around the back." Ethan said to the driver who nodded.

"I wish you could come in the back with me." I said stroking Ethan's hand where it lay on my thigh.

"So do I but I promised my dad I'd do a little publicity for him. It was the only way I could get him to agree to having no press inside the event." He gripped my hand and lifted it before kissing the back. "But I won't take long and I'll soon be inside with you."

"You better not take long. Especially since Evie's going to be there and we all know I am not her favourite person in the world." I pulled a face.