Epilogue

ONE YEAR LATER

Half-asleep, I swatted at a tickle on my shoulder. It happened again, and I instinctively rolled away. The tickle returned, traveling across my back. Oh. It wasn't a random breeze or another feather that had escaped from my pillow.

Those were kisses.

Eyes still closed, I smiled to myself as Nod brushed away a lock of my hair to find a new place to kiss. Waking up to the feeling of Nod's breath on my skin reminded me of how we ended up knotted in these sheets in the first place.

"Good morning," he breathed into my neck.

"Good morning." I rolled back over to face him, forcing my sleepy eyes to open.

His hands slid down to my waist and he pressed another kiss to my cheek. "Are you busy today?"

"I was going to try and talk to MK. And I have to deal with the termite squabble on the North shore." I rested my head on his chest. "Besides, shouldn't I be asking you that?"

"Hey," Nod said in mock offense. "Just because Ronin retired and promoted me instead doesn't mean it all goes to pieces."

"But it does mean you have work to do."

Nod hummed and his lips brushed my jaw. "I could think of some other things I'd rather be doing." He rolled on top of me and pressed his lips to my cheek, the underside of my jaw, and behind my ear. His head dipped, and he began placing open-mouthed kisses along my neck and collarbone, teeth teasing skin. I gasped lightly under his touch as my breathing became uneven.

We were so distracted, I didn't notice the butler opening the door. "Your Majesty, there's a call from—"

Without turning away from me, Nod chucked a pillow at him. The butler retreated into the hall, closing the door behind him. It was a few moments before his muffled voice filtered in. "Sorry, ma'am. There's a call from your sister on camera three."

I sighed loudly. "I'll be there in a moment."

I pulled myself into a sitting position and Nod groaned. "Do you have to leave?"

"MK's waiting, so yes."

"She'll survive a day without talking to you." Nod sat up behind me and turned my head so he could press his lips to mine. I hummed contentedly, kissing back for a few moments before pulling away. "I have to go," I whispered.

"Fine." Nod flopped back onto the bed. "You've broken my heart. Leave, for my eyes can't bear to look upon you!"

I rolled my eyes at his drama, trying to hide a smile. "You're in my room, Nod."

He looked around. "So I am. I didn't really notice, I was a bit preoccupied last night," he teased.

"Get out before I call the Royal Guard to take you away."

He gasped loudly. "You really think they'd turn on their own general? I'm shocked."

I landed on top of Nod, causing him to grunt. "With orders from their queen they would."

Nod gripped my hips and looked up at me. "I thought you had to go talk to MK."

"She can wait a few minutes." I grinned, then leaned down to press my lips to his once more.