𝟭𝟮. 𝗠𝗔𝗧𝗖𝗛𝗠𝗔𝗞𝗘𝗥 𝗠𝗔𝗩𝗘𝗥𝗜𝗖𝗞

...∘∙⋆⋯✩        ✩⋯⋆∙∘...

Emerson and Amelia left Maverick's hangar, driving to the shopping district. A song from a cassette tape played softly in the car while the two girls chit-chatted about their lives, getting to know the other. Emerson parked her cherry-red 1969 Camaro on the street outside of a wedding dress boutique. 

"So, how long have you two been dating?" Amelia asked as they entered the store.

Emerson bit her lip, "Um, about a day? Not really sure if that even counts, though." Amelia paused in the store's entryway, sending Emerson a strange look. "We've known each other since the Naval Academy. We've just always been there for each other; I can't imagine my life without him. It's complicated, to say the least."

Amelia laughed and headed to a dress rack while Emerson proceeded to an adjacent rack. The screech of metal hangers sliding across metal racks filled the silence in the store; the two girls struggled to find any potential options. There were dresses with sequins, lace, and floral and several different sleeve and skirt options, but none of the dresses caught Emerson's eye. The woman grew frustrated.

"Em!"

Emerson turned toward Amelia; the girl held up a simple, white satin dress with a cowl neckline and skinny straps. Emerson ran her fingers along the smooth material, "This is gorgeous, Amelia. You have a great eye!"

She smiled at the compliment, "Well, try it on!"

Emerson stepped out of the store's dressing room in the dress, giving Amelia a twirl. "You look absolutely stunning, Em!"

The woman smoothed her nervous hands against the dress, taking in her reflection in the mirror. The dress hugged her hips perfectly, flaunting her curves. The white, glossy material a perfect contrast against her tan skin. Emerson never expected a day would come for her to try on a wedding dress, yet here she was, marrying the love of her life. She was reminded of her mother, wishing she was there to share the moment. "My mom would have loved this dress."

Emerson fiddled with the dainty, silver necklace clasped around her neck. It was one of Charlie Blackwood's that she had passed on to her daughter before her death. Emerson kissed the necklace, blinking back tears. Another necklace hung around her neck; it was from Bradley. He gifted it to her when they graduated from the Naval Academy; she hadn't taken it off since. It was a small fighter jet on a silver chain.

"Your mom. She's not here anymore, is she?" Amelia wondered.

"No, she's not. She got sick several years ago."

"I'm so sorry, Em." She hugged the woman, "She would've thought you looked beautiful."

Emerson changed back into her original attire, and the two girls walked to the counter. "So, have you thought about joining the Navy?" Emerson asked curiously, waiting for the cashier to ring up her purchase.