Chapter One

My hands tremble faintly as I rub my sweaty palms off on my military-issue cargo pants. I shake my head ever so slightly, attempting to shake off any of the nerves I feel about being called to the Head of Command's office.

I turn around the corner of a hallway and almost bump into another pilot. I salute him, him being higher ranked than me, and bark out a quick apology before resuming my path.

What did I do this time? I haven't buzzed a tower or anything..recently.

Being a Mitchell, I have a knack for putting myself into the face of trouble. That being said, this isn't my first rodeo, but being a new pilot on this base, I have tried to keep up a clean record. That leads me back to wondering why on earth I had to go to Commander Smith's office.

I round another sharp corner and walk a few more paces before finding myself at the door of Commander Jason Smith. I take a deep breath before knocking sharply on the old, wooden door.

Knock, Knock.

A deep voice erupts from the other side.

"Come in."

I train my eyes just above the top of Commander Smith's head and salute him stiffly.

"You asked to see me, sir?" I say, voice sounding stiff, yet well-versed.

"At ease, Lieutenant Mitchell."

I relax my stance and lower my hand from my salute, relaxing my arms. I take my stare from just above the Commander's head to make full eye contact with him. His expression is unreadable.

"Lieutenant, I called you in here to inform you of some rather intriguing news. Earlier this morning, I received a call from Top Gun."

Top Gun? What does this have to do with me? Surely they don't want such a fresh graduate to become an instructor? I only graduated four years ago!

"Top Gun, sir?" I inquire, urging him to continue on with his story.

"Yes. Now, I know that you graduated from there roughly four years ago, but they called and said that they needed you to return for a special forces mission. They informed us that they would take care of travel expenses and housing as you will be gone roughly a month and a half. You will be instructed by a seasoned aviator who they said does have ties to the academy as well. Are you interested?"

"Absolutely, sir! This would be the chance of a lifetime." I hastily exclaimed.

My mind is practically reeling. Special forces mission? Enemy target? What kind of mission is this?

"Indeed it will be, Lieutenant. I do admit, I am reluctant to let such a fine young aviator of mine go, but I know this will be great experience for you. You may come back with new maneuvers or techniques to teach the other pilots on base. After all, the academy mentioned your instructor will be the best of the best." He speaks, thinking deeply about my opportunity.

"They did not mention who it would be, sir?" I inquire, confused as to why they might keep it secret.

"They did not, Lieutenant. I have suspicions, but I do not want to get your hopes up. You will just have to see upon your arrival-"

Darn. I was hoping to get more information, but he shut that down real quick.

"Speaking of which, you are set to depart by airplane tonight at 7:00. I will arrange your shuttle to the airport, so no need to worry. Go ahead and take care of your business now; pack your things, say your goodbyes, what not. Return here around 5:45 so we can get you sent off. You are dismissed."