angel goldfish: 05

CHAPTER FIVE

“Why are you still not speaking to me?”

Mom, as I’d expected, didn’t even throw me a glance, and her lips remained glued together, acting like I didn’t speak. I was on the passenger seat and she was driving the both of us home. I just slammed my back to the seat, crossed my arms, and glared to the blurring streets outside.

“I still think you should’ve been given a punishment for what you did. It’s unfair they gave you the opposite of what you deserve.”

I couldn’t believe her. “Like what? Expulsion?”

“I didn’t say that,” she said, and her hands gripped the steering wheel so tight her knuckles turned white. “They even sent you home? Seriously? To have a break?” She scoffed and I just rolled my eyes secretly. “They handled you too lightly—and also, how would you learn in a stupid journalism club?”

“Why can’t you just be happy for me?” I frowned and just looked back outside. “They want me to dye my hair black. That’s the punishment.”

“For God’s sake, when will you grow up?”

She went on and on about how immature I was and how I just got lucky that I didn’t get suspended, but I just emptied my head and watched everything pass by my eyes.

“I’m dropping you off at the hospital,” she said suddenly, and my ears perked up.

I turned to look at her. “That’s ridiculous.”

“You know what’s ridiculous? Hiding under a table’s bed and writing a murd—”

“I told you! Indie isn’t a murderer!” I realized too late that I’d said that a bit loud and Mom didn’t like it.

She slammed the steering wheel and stepped on the brakes. I just carefully looked at her, a bit scared, but she didn’t say anything. She breathed in and out deeply for a few seconds before she decided to speak again.

“That’s it. Get out of the car.”

“Huh?”

“Get out of the car and visit the hospital across this street. You are not going home until I see a note written from Ms. Harper.”

I pressed my lips together and ran my fingers through my hair. “Mom.”

“I mean every word, Piper,” she said firmly, staring hard outside. “I am not moving until you get out of the car.”

I just sighed and went out, but before slamming the door close, I looked at her and said, “I hate you.”

Entering a hospital with a uniform looked stupid. I kept hiding my hands inside my pockets, looking around, as if I knew what I was doing. When I was told the room Ms. Harper was in, I stopped idling around and went straight to her.

I knocked thrice, but all I heard was a grunt. I just bit my lower lip as I entered the room, and as soon as she saw me, she rolled her eyes.

“Great.”

She had a bandage around her head, which didn’t mean good news. I heard she also had a concussion and would only be released later that lunch.

“I don’t want to be rude, but it really was your fault,” I said, still standing in front of the door.

She just breathed loudly and glared at me. “I’ve been here alone long enough to realize that, but just allow me to blame you.”

I just smiled and sat beside her. “Sorry I don’t have fruits . . . or a flower.”