THIRTY-ONE

SERENITY
the day Himari escaped

 My bare feet were tapping against the stone cold flooring as I kept taking glances over my shoulder to make sure the soulless corridor was as empty as before

My bare feet were tapping against the stone cold flooring as I kept taking glances over my shoulder to make sure the soulless corridor was as empty as before. I had only just managed to keep the guards distracted long enough for me to come down here unnoticed.

This ridiculous two piece clothing that I was forced to wear kept risking a slip every time I moved too fast or too carelessly. The loose clothing that was supposed to act as some kind of bra, only without the straps, barely just covered my breasts. It was almost the same with the bottom. It covered my most private area with a satin fabric that hung in my front and over my bum. It would have been fine, if it wasn't for the major slits on each sides of my hips, which ultimately revealed more skin that I would hope to cover each time I walked.

I felt utterly ridiculous, as if I was a sex object.

My breathing was rigid as I looked through each cell that I passed in search of that raven colored hair that almost melted into it's surroundings. I had to hold onto my long "skirt" that reached down to my toes to make sure I didn't stumble down onto the floor by losing my balance on the garment. The keys that I had stolen from one of the guards rattling against my thigh as I ran.

"Himari!" I hissed out as I made sure to keep my voice on a low level that would not endanger me

As I finally stopped for a moment, I caught a fleeting movement from the very corner of my eye that snapped my head to its direction. My breath hitched as I realized the movement was a dainty hand that kept trying to wave at me.

I could almost smile of relief once I saw that she was alive and, what looked to be, well. I scurried over to her door cell and grabbed a hold of her hand that still hung out from the bars that kept her captured. My knees met the stone floor as I held her hand in a tight grip.

"Oh..." a weak groan left her mouth— "No food this time?"

I looked back in the direction that I had come from, but no one was there.

"Himari-" I now took another hold onto her forearm to make sure she understood the severity of the situation— "It's time"

She furrowed her eyebrows at me in response— "What? Time for what?"

"You can't stay here any longer. If you do, you will die"

As my words began to sink in, she slowly started to shake her head. Once she came closer to the bars, I could see her frail face in the very dim lighting.

"If I go, then you come with me" she stated firmly

And while I appreciated her care for me, I knew it would be impossible for me to come with her.

"I can't... Himari you know I can't" I urged her

But she once again just shook her head at me, determination settling into her nearly black eyes.