Chapter 1: It's Mutual

Every dark cloud has a silver lining and that was the case for 14-year-old genius, Hiro Hamada. After his older brother, Tadashi, died in a fire, Hiro's life changed as he got close to great new friends, enrolled in his dream university and got to explore his full potential in robotics. Sure, he missed his brother, but his life was good.

Hiro woke up early in the morning and prepared to go to the San Fransokyo Institute of Technology, but as he prepared, he had a nagging feeling that something was amiss. Hiro walked up to his backpack next to his desk and he stubbed his toe on one of its legs.

        "Ow!" Hiro said as he clung to his toe in pain.

Then it hit him, Baymax was not in the room. Baymax was an artificially intelligent healthcare robot made specifically for Hiro by Tadashi. Baymax was naive, nosey and looked like a walking marshmallow with black eyes.

Baymax would instantly activate the second Hiro said the activation word, 'Ow' and he should have the second he did this time, but he did not. Something was wrong.

Hiro ran up to the window and looked out at the city to see if Baymax had wondered off again. Baymax was nowhere in sight.

        "Oh, man, where is he?" Hiro said to himself.

Hiro grabbed his backpack and ran out of the room.

HIRO RACED down the stairs and tripped over his pet cat, Mochi, which was sleeping on the staircase. Hiro rolled down the stairs and crashed face first on the main floor of the apartment.

        "Darn cat!" Hiro said in a muffled voice as his face pressed against the floor.

Cass, Hiro's brunette and peppy aunt, was preparing breakfast when she heard Hiro crash on the floor.

        "Hiro!" Aunt Cass exclaimed as she turned.

Baymax, who was helping Aunt Cass cook, walked up to Hiro. Aunt Cass ran up to Hiro.

        "You have fallen," Baymax said blankly.

        "Yeah, no duh," Hiro said, still in a muffled voice.

        "Oh no," Aunt Cass said as she helped Hiro up, "Hiro, are you okay?"

        "Yeah, I'm fine," Hiro said.

        "You sure? Nothing broken, right?" Aunt Cass asked.

        "I just fell down the stairs," Hiro said, "I didn't break anything,"

        "On a scale of one to ten, how do you rate your pain?" Baymax said.

        "I'm fine, really," Hiro said.

        "Does it hurt when I touch –"Baymax tried to say as he reached out to Hiro.

        "No, I'm fine, really," Hiro said.

Hiro stepped back and realized something as Baymax and Aunt Cass looked at him eagerly; Aunt Cass and Baymax were similar in the way they treated him. They were both so worried about his safety that they usually babied him. He hated it at times, but would not have them any other way. It would be weird of Baymax was less naïve and Aunt Cass was less caring.

        "It's kinda hard to get used to," Hiro said, "Didn't think you and Baymax would get along so easily,"

        "Well, he's a great help," Aunt Cass said as she walked up to the stove.