Chapter 1

November 6th 1983

November 6th 1983

Hawkins, Indiana

"No Keith, for the tenth time, I don't want a ride home!" I yelled with a small wave to my coworker before shoving my hands in my jacket pockets to grab my bike lock keys. I heard Keith yell something in return as I  walked towards my red bike that was chained up but I just decided to ignore it, figuring it was something small, dumb or another attempt of asking me out.

"Why, you may ask? Well, partially because I don't want you to know where I live, mostly because you're insanely creepy." I mumbled to myself as I crouched down to unlock my bike lock, hearing Keith's car already leaving the Arcade parking lot as I stood up and shoved the keys back in my jacket pocket. If it was any other creep from school, I would have already chased them off, yelled at them, threatened them or punched them out completely but, Keith was not only my co worker, but also my boss which meant for all necessary purposes, I had to be relatively nice to him.

"You need this job, you need this job, you need this job." I reminded myself as I grabbed the scrunchie off my wrist and put my hair up, knowing it would only get in the way as I rode my bike home. I took my walkman cassette player out of my bag, along with my headphones, clipping it to my belt, putting my headphones on before mounting my bike. I knew Will and Jonathan would be home when I got there, my shift ending at 9 when we closed the arcade. It was times like these, when I worked a late shift and everything looked like it was lurking in the darkness, when the orange, brown and red dead leaves were crunching under my feet and tires, the autumn wind chilling me to my core, that I wish I took Jonathan up on his offer to share the car when we got it. I let go of the handle bars and held the bike between my legs as I pressed the play button on my walkman. The album Frontiers by Journey blasting through my head phones as I pulled them up from around my neck and put them on my head, now ready for the bike ride home.

 The album Frontiers by Journey blasting through my head phones as I pulled them up from around my neck and put them on my head, now ready for the bike ride home

**

"What the hell?" I breathed as I turned the handle of the front door, finding the door completely unlocked. Mom told Jonathan and I both from a young age to always lock the front door, even if we are all inside, because we never know who could come knocking, so an unlocked front door at the Byers house, meant something was up.