Chapter 3 - Tryouts

"MOM, I'M HOME AND I HAVE SOMETHING TO TELL YOU!" I screamed once I got back home because I thought my mom was upstairs doing laundry.

"I'm in the kitchen, dear." She said very calmly.

"Soo... I went to go talk with Coach Mahoney and the varsity baseball manager job is mine! I start next week." I said enthusiastically as I grabbed a bag of chips from the pantry.

As usual, my mom asked how school was and I told her it was fine. I grabbed my backpack, my bag of chips, and I headed upstairs.

Apparently, Coach Mahoney attached all the boy's names and their grade level who were trying out for the teams. I recognized a lot of people since I'm a junior and I've been here awhile.

Guys like Cade Leon, Lance Colton, Nathan Smith, and Jacob McCoubre were on the list. Cade and Jacob are seniors, while Lance and Nathan are juniors like me.

*NEXT WEEK*

It was the day. The day I've been waiting for. It felt like forever, but all that matters is that it's here.

Since it was a Saturday, I made a turkey and cheese Panini for lunch and headed out to the practice fields at my school at about 1pm.

I saw Coach Mahoney on practice field #2 and started heading over there; as I started walking, I saw a whole group of boys in baseball uniforms come out from the locker rooms just happy to be there.

"Hey, Sienna; the other manager, Mikayla Roush is sitting on the bench over there. Once I get my assistant to start the warm-ups, I'll come over and tell you the responsibilities of being a baseball manager." Coach said.

"Okay, thanks, Coach." I said.

"Call me Kyle." He then walked over to where the boys were lined up in alphabetical order. I walked to the bench and sat down next to Mikayla.

I threw my arm up and stretched it out to her.

"Hi, I'm Sienna. You're Mikayla, right?"

"Right you are, and you're Sienna. Kyle told me who the other manager was when I got here." She said cheerfully.

"Well, we're going to have a fun time this season and hopefully next season. Let's get each other's numbers just in case one of us can't make it or something." We both grabbed our IPhones and traded phones.

A few moments after, Kyle came back and told us what we would be doing.

Here is a list of some things we'd be doing:

 At practice:

Get water bottles filled and handed out

Help get all boys warmed up and make sure they all have their mitts

Make sure the players stay hydrated at all times. (This is for everywhere)

 At games:

Keep score of what the players ask for (how many outs, how many homeruns, etc...)

Keep players hydrated.

Come to all the games unless there's an emergency.

 At team events/trips:

Make sure they don't drink alcohol.

Keep them active, whether it's swimming or playing catch out back.

Do not date anyone on the team unless most of his teammates agree.

The last one cracked me up. Like I would date a baseball player. They all think I'm a joke because I have a greater IQ than them, what's so wrong with being smart?

Then Kyle showed us where to get the mitts and where to get the "good" water. He also showed us how to keep score for each of the boys. After he was finished, we thanked him and got the water.

We came out from the school to see lots going on. Some guys were doing push-ups, some were throwing the ball back and forth, and others were running the bases. After tryouts were over, it was 5 o'clock in the evening.

"Before everyone leaves to shower and go home, I have two people I'd like you to meet. These two girls are Sienna and Mikayla, your managers, so be nice to them... Dismissed." As Kyle said this, I saw a few boys smirk and others smile.

All the boys headed back to the locker rooms to change except one. Nathan Smith came up to me and introduced himself.

"Hi, I'm Nathan." He said.

"Hey, I'm Sienna, but you already knew that since Kyle introduced me to the players."

"Are you coming to the team trip on Saturday to the mountains?" He asked.

"Of course, I go to every event with you guys." He smiled as I said this, I wonder why.

"Well, I have to clean up the equipment and you have to get cleaned up, so I'll see you at practice." I said trying to be nice. He walked off and I went back to what I was doing.

Mikayla and I drained the water and put everything away. I got in the car and drove a few minutes back to my house.

The first thing I did when I got home was go up to my room and lay on my bed, it feels amazing. I looked at the schedule and Monday is the first practice right after school.

"Hey, girl, what's up? Doing anything this evening?" Alexandra texted me.

"No, I just got home from baseball tryouts." I responded.

"THAT MEANS YOU GOT THE MANAGER JOB! CONGRATS, GIRL!" She said in all caps.

"Thanks! I'm going to be super busy though, so I won't be able to hang out with you as much as we used to. :'( ..."

"That's okay, we'll always have sophomore year... ah... sophomore year, the memories." I giggled a little at that message she sent.

"Dinner!" My mom yelled upstairs. "I'm lazy tonight and we're having pizza!"

"Got to go, dinner, text ya later!"  

_________________________________________________________

Hey guys. Sienna and Nathan FINALLY met!! So, thanks for 44 reads in only a week of publishing this book. Don't forget to vote and comment!